Terminal ballistics- Which would you prefer

Terminal Ballistics- Which do you prefer

• Bullet passes through and leaves a gaping hole on the other side

Votes: 26 44.8%
  • Bullet expends all of it's energy inside the animal and cause severe internal damage

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • Bullet kills, cleans, and processes the animal exactly like you like it with no damage to the meat

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
I would have to agree. I'm running low on 168's... I'm going to start load developing on 180's in the near future.

We ran the 168 Target in a 7mag this year and they did awesome from 100 yards out to just under 600 on mule deer. One large buck the bullet entered the hind quarter then came out and entered right in in the side and exited the opposite front shoulder. Cleaned his clock!!!! We loaded the Target bullet in this rifle because the shooter tends to shoot elk in the shoulder and we wanted just a little harder bullet than the hunting version and it seems to be working very well for us.

We ran the 168 Target in a 7mag this year and they did awesome from 100 yards out to just under 600 on mule deer. One large buck the bullet entered the hind quarter then came out and entered right in in the side and exited the opposite front shoulder. Cleaned his clock!!!! We loaded the Target bullet in this rifle because the shooter tends to shoot elk in the shoulder and we wanted just a little harder bullet than the hunting version and it seems to be working very well for us.

I think thats probably spot on. The added speed over a 180 + less sd would make the target a better choice. I for one always shoot the heaviest for caliber in bergers due to the lightweight construction but the target version might let you get away with a lighter slug.

It's interesting to read, in this thread and others, the different experiences with the same bullets. There is a lot of consistency in most experiences, but also some stark contrasts. For rife hunting I am all in favor of doing as much internal damage as possible, although I do not like seeing large masses of blood shot meat... and generally in favor of an exit that will leave blood for trailing if necessary. Trailing is obviously not an optimal situation but it is necessary on occasion and part of the hunting game, and is usually the result of an errant placed bullet. With the exception of one deer, I have never had to track any of my game animlas. They all either went straight down or wandered just a few yards. The one that I did have to track was my first deer and an attempted head shot from a tree stand almost directly above it. Also had to track a friends deer once that was put straight down with about a 100 yd offhand shot with a 30-06. We got across the coulee and to our surprise, the deer was gone. We followed a blood trail for over a mile that eventually dried up and disappeared on private property. No idea if the buck survived or not.

I have used many different bullets for taking game and all have performed well. There is no one perfect bullet for all situations, especially in LR. IMO, shot placement is the greatest critical factor.

To put this in a greater light, bow hunters have a whole different view of terminal performance. Options 1 and 2 do not apply and yet they get the job done. Just something to think about.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.