Which caliber would you choose?

Skinny Shooter

I currently have a Remmy VLS in 308. Just bought a new VSF in same.
Have been getting the itch for a wildcat or something similiar and figured I'd rebarrel the VLS. This gun will be used primarily for groundhogs.
I want to stay with the SA, be able to load from the magazine (no single loading), no mag-well lengthening and have a cartridge that will allow me to seat the bullet just off the lands. Minimal case prep is also desired. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The 6mm or 6.5 calibers are interesting and was looking at a 6mm Norma BR, 243, 243AI, 6mmRem or a 260Rem.
The barrel would be 28" and I want to shoot a high BC bullet that will carry out past 500 yards.
What are your thoughts?
Hornady has a .243 87gr Vmax that seems like a good bullet for this use with Varget.
Hate to take the barrel off of the VLS cause it shoots fairly well for a factory tube.
Thanks for your help.

I second Ric's choice , my 243Ai will shoot the 105gr A-max bullets well past 500yds , haven't had the chance yet but I'm sure it'll do well at 1k and the A-max is a very fragile bullet , kinda like a heavy for caliber V-max
And just get some Lapua brass and fire form with a light load and your done and their is not enough bore wear to be concerned with. The Lapua brass is so consistant that you don't have to do any other preping to it and it last forever . The recoil is nill and the muzzel blast doesen't scare the critters in the next county

Check into the 6 BR fast twist. It has got to be the most efficient 1000 yard gun going right now, so you can imagine how well it does at half that distance! Also, there is no fireforming, and the brass is almost good enough to just pull out of the box and load if you're not too anal like me!
Check out the ballistics on it, you will see that it gets about 80% of the velocity of the .243 fast twist with almost half the powder.
Look at www.6mmbr.com under competitions, varmint hunting, and load data.
Shoot the fly off your target!

Thanks guys. My first thought was the 243AI but then discovered 6mmBR.com and that started me down that road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Am considering a Rock or Lilja barrel.

another for the 6br or brx with 26-28" 8 twist Broughton 5C rifling barrel.

8 twist will shoot the 100 gr and all the way down to the 68s and 80 gr bullets very well.

couple guys on that site do the box conversions for the br magazine and gun will last at least 2000-3000 rounds and keep on going.

BH

cbaker, the palm swell that was added this year to the "improved VSF" fits my hand well. Wish the trigger guard was a bit further forward though. The fluting on the barrel adds to the cool factor but I'm not sure it is really needed. It weighs almost one pound less than the VLS. The stock color isn't bad and should blend well in my hunting areas (farmland). The new VSSF II has a sharp looking black stock with green webbing.
Haven't shot it yet. But I'm dying to...
Just dropped it off at my gunsmith to have the trigger lightened up and am supposed to have it for the weekend. He gets it down to about a safe 2lbs and that will do till I can get an after-market trigger later this year.
If it shoots as good as my VLS, I'll be happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Update on the trigger job. The gunsmith tells me he had a tough time making adjustments on the new gun. Also had dropped off a Remmy 222 BDL varmint and he had no difficulties adjust that trigger.
He refused to drop both triggers below 40oz which is a bit on the high side. If he's worried about liability guess I can't fault him for that. The Jewel trigger keeps looking better and better.

Anyone have an idea on how to safely lower your trigger weight on a Remmy 700?
And have the new Remington triggers been changed?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.