TC Prohunter

I have shot the Pro Hunter in .280, .338, .308 and .50 cal. ml. The rifles I have or have shot are very accurate. Recoil is reduced significantly by the new stock. We killed huge Nilgai with the .338 and .50 cal muzzle loader - the rifles worked perfectly.
How accurate - depends on the ammo but around an inch is not unreasonable. Sometimes two inches sometimes well under an inch - depends on the ammo and shooter.

Ian, did you check the velocities with the 338 & 280 barrels? I am wondering what the increase would be with these 28" barrels. I have thought about buying a 7mag Pro
Hunter barrel for my Encore & having it re-chambered to 7STW, but I have heard the higher intensity rounds don't do as well in the Encore.

I did not chronograph anything, was at the factory and we were shooting prototypes. Would I buy one - yes, they take the Encore to a higher level. Happen to know they are constantly being improved, better CNC's make for better parts, fit, accuracy. T/C is continually improving their stuff.
Really like the recoil reducing stock, plus 28inch barrels are a good thing for many magnum cartridges.

I have had different experiences with the T/C. In 35 Whelen and 375 H&H there were headspace issues in more guns than not. Full length sized cases would separate after the 3rd loading. Some of the guns would close easily with a no-go gauge. Partial resizing and seating the bullet out as far as possible corrected the problem most of the time. The guns with the closest headspace tolerences shot the best in every instance. The guns with the largest headspace tolerences shot poorly and sometimes misfired with factory ammo. The 35 Whelen being the worst. Its a great gun, but check the headspace with a go and no-go gauge.

A person I know has a TC prohunter 28" barrel in 243 win, 308 and 300 win mag. After some load developments the 243 is nearly hole in one with many 3 shot groups, 300 win mag averages 5/8" and not sure on 308 but it is still good. Shots were mostly at 100 yards. This is what he gets consistently even after changing barrels.

Again this took some load developments before getting moa accurate. The gun also had a really light trigger done by a TC gunsmith in Las Vegas.

I have an Encore in 7-08 and have done the trigger and tightened everything up and with hand loads I am getting groups around 3/4" of an inch at 100 yards.
I have taken several hogs and two Wisconsin whitetails. IMO it is a great hunting rifle.
Light weight and doesn't kick much with reasonable accuracy. Not a 1000 yard gun but really nice to pack.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.