Talk some sense into me!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 3fingervic, Aug 10, 2011.

1. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

Ok, I have about $2000 coming to me via check. My plan is to drop it all on shooting equipment. Here are a couple of options. First, I can basically shoot the whole wad on a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 scope. Secondly, I could get a Vortex PST FFP, and a used Sig 556. I could also go with the Sig, the PST in SFP and get a used Leica 1200 ($350).

Right now I have a Vortex Crossfire on LR rig, but would like to upgrade. Also, I don't have an AR type carbine in the collection. I don't shoot comps. and no ones life depends on the scope. Any advice?

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

For that kind of money you could get a couple of top end Leupold Mark 4's if you shop around and check Ebay and the classifieds over at Sniper's Hide.

The question is do you NEED the sig?

I alway say buy the best glass you can possibly afford. I've always been amazed when guys spend over a grand on a rifle and then stick a cheap piece of glass on it and wonder why they can't shoot any better.

3. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

For the longest time I used bushnell, tasco, simmons...ect... I did "Okay". Then one day I got a gleam in my eye for an IOR 3-18x42 "Flea" scope. I scrimped and saved a year to get that scope! Best purchase I ever made, all $1200 of it. Suddenly even at 10x I could see things that were nearly impossible before. Crank it up to 14x or so and things really begin to "pop".

The sig is certainly a nice weapon. Although I have more than 1 gun, I love that old saying "Beware the old man who owns only 1 gun!" These days I have trimmed down a bit, and am trying hard to focus more on shooting. $2000 will buy a quite a bit of ammo... :)

Have a good one!
    Gary

4. Doe

Doe Member

Just got back from shooting yesterday and to my right, a guy with a 264 Les-Baer top with Night NSX 5.5-22X56mm, the gun is capable of sub moa at 100yds, but he couldn't out shoot my RRA Lr- 308..16"er top with Burris 3-9X40mm. Practice..and shoot often your going to need lots of ammo!! to reload :cool:. Get the reloading stuff, and the shooting eg, i would.

5. WildRose

The question is... . How much better could you do with his equipment?

It doesn't how much you spend on the gear if you just can't shoot your way out of a paper bag but no matter how skilled you are you just can't polish a turd enough to make it a diamond.

As a general rule if one will spend at least as much on the scope as you did on the rifle you'll probably have a nice combination. If you go first class on both, the odds of success go up and up.

6. raisincenter

raisincenter Active Member

Razor.

7. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

From your description above I have to assume you don't have a range finder?? Or the one you have is inferior to the Leica? The Razor would be nice for sure, although the PST will probably suitable, I do agree with one of the above posts (made me laugh actually), about the high dollar rifle strapped with a Tasco lolgun)

Honestly, comb the classifieds for a NF or MK4 or even a PST? Might be the best bang....

8. 3fingervic

Thanks for the replies. What ever scope I buy, I will be buying off the Classifieds hear or on SH. Do I need the Sig? I guess not, It fills a hole in my "collection". I have two pistols (one full size one compact), an 870 for bird hunting, an H & R slug gun for hunting in lower MI, and a 8mm mauser sporterized that was give to me by Gramps. My long range gun is a Savage FCP-K in .300 WM. The Savage is stock now, but I ordered a SSS stock that should be here Sept/Oct. I'm set up quite nicely to reload for .300 WM. I would like a an AR type gun for plinking fun, and for my wife to shoot. I also would like to have one for general preparedness.

Is the Razor over kill? Will the PST do the trick?

9. mthunter86

mthunter86 Well-Known Member

The pst is great for the money but I love my razor. Awesome glass and bombproof!

10. WildRose

If I were going to spend 2k on a scope it would not be a vortex. USO, NF, Huskemaw, Premier Reticles, Swarovski or Zeiss maybe, but not a scope produced by a company with such a short history.

I'd rather let others be the guinea pigs when we're talking about that kind of money.

11. Camshaft

Camshaft Well-Known Member

Make sure and check out the new sightron tactical scopes. I have the 6-24x50lrmd/cm. I have put it side by side with a nightforce and as long as my life isnt riding on my scope, the nf was not $1000 better than my sightron. I would enjoy the zero stop feature but not needed for my uses. And definately check out swfa.com they have a link in the top right corner of their website that take you to the sample list which is where they sell all of their demos. I picked up my scope from them and saved $146 over any place else. And there was no sign that the scope had ever been touched.

12. Good

Good Well-Known Member

You have enough there to set yourself up completely for the LR game.

PST
    Leica CRF1600
    Kestrel/skymate
    Ballistic computer

Or, you could get a set of Swarovski 15x56 binos. That's probably what I'd do in my situation.

How about the Vortex Kaibabs and PST? (be close to limit maybe a little over)

Kaibabs and CRF1600 and shoot whatcha got? That sounds good to me.gun)

13. 3fingervic

I hear where you're coming from. I've read a lot of positive reviews and testimonies about thier products and customer service. I'm kind of set on one of those two scopes, unless a great deal comes around.

14. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

Sounds like a whole bunch of fun plinking in your future!

Gary