Talk some sense into me!

3fingervic

Ok, I have about $2000 coming to me via check. My plan is to drop it all on shooting equipment. Here are a couple of options. First, I can basically shoot the whole wad on a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 scope. Secondly, I could get a Vortex PST FFP, and a used Sig 556. I could also go with the Sig, the PST in SFP and get a used Leica 1200 ($350).

Right now I have a Vortex Crossfire on LR rig, but would like to upgrade. Also, I don't have an AR type carbine in the collection. I don't shoot comps. and no ones life depends on the scope. Any advice?

Ok, I have about $2000 coming to me via check. My plan is to drop it all on shooting equipment. Here are a couple of options. First, I can basically shoot the whole wad on a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 scope. Secondly, I could get a Vortex PST FFP, and a used Sig 556. I could also go with the Sig, the PST in SFP and get a used Leica 1200 ($350).

Right now I have a Vortex Crossfire on LR rig, but would like to upgrade. Also, I don't have an AR type carbine in the collection. I don't shoot comps. and no ones life depends on the scope. Any advice?
For that kind of money you could get a couple of top end Leupold Mark 4's if you shop around and check Ebay and the classifieds over at Sniper's Hide.

The question is do you NEED the sig?

I alway say buy the best glass you can possibly afford. I've always been amazed when guys spend over a grand on a rifle and then stick a cheap piece of glass on it and wonder why they can't shoot any better.

For the longest time I used bushnell, tasco, simmons...ect... I did "Okay". Then one day I got a gleam in my eye for an IOR 3-18x42 "Flea" scope. I scrimped and saved a year to get that scope! Best purchase I ever made, all $1200 of it. Suddenly even at 10x I could see things that were nearly impossible before. Crank it up to 14x or so and things really begin to "pop".

The sig is certainly a nice weapon. Although I have more than 1 gun, I love that old saying "Beware the old man who owns only 1 gun!" These days I have trimmed down a bit, and am trying hard to focus more on shooting. $2000 will buy a quite a bit of ammo... :)

Have a good one!
Gary

Just got back from shooting yesterday and to my right, a guy with a 264 Les-Baer top with Night NSX 5.5-22X56mm, the gun is capable of sub moa at 100yds, but he couldn't out shoot my RRA Lr- 308..16"er top with Burris 3-9X40mm. Practice..and shoot often your going to need lots of ammo!! to reload :cool:. Get the reloading stuff, and the shooting eg, i would.

Just got back from shooting yesterday and to my right, a guy with a 264 Les-Baer top with Night NSX 5.5-22X56mm, the gun is capable of sub moa at 100yds, but he couldn't out shoot my RRA Lr- 308..16"er top with Burris 3-9X40mm. Practice..and shoot often your going to need lots of ammo!! to reload :cool:. Get the reloading stuff, and the shooting eg, i would.
The question is... . How much better could you do with his equipment?

It doesn't how much you spend on the gear if you just can't shoot your way out of a paper bag but no matter how skilled you are you just can't polish a turd enough to make it a diamond.

As a general rule if one will spend at least as much on the scope as you did on the rifle you'll probably have a nice combination. If you go first class on both, the odds of success go up and up.

From your description above I have to assume you don't have a range finder?? Or the one you have is inferior to the Leica? The Razor would be nice for sure, although the PST will probably suitable, I do agree with one of the above posts (made me laugh actually), about the high dollar rifle strapped with a Tasco lolgun)

Honestly, comb the classifieds for a NF or MK4 or even a PST? Might be the best bang....

Thanks for the replies. What ever scope I buy, I will be buying off the Classifieds hear or on SH. Do I need the Sig? I guess not, It fills a hole in my "collection". I have two pistols (one full size one compact), an 870 for bird hunting, an H & R slug gun for hunting in lower MI, and a 8mm mauser sporterized that was give to me by Gramps. My long range gun is a Savage FCP-K in .300 WM. The Savage is stock now, but I ordered a SSS stock that should be here Sept/Oct. I'm set up quite nicely to reload for .300 WM. I would like a an AR type gun for plinking fun, and for my wife to shoot. I also would like to have one for general preparedness.

Is the Razor over kill? Will the PST do the trick?

Thanks for the replies. What ever scope I buy, I will be buying off the Classifieds hear or on SH. Do I need the Sig? I guess not, It fills a hole in my "collection". I have two pistols (one full size one compact), an 870 for bird hunting, an H & R slug gun for hunting in lower MI, and a 8mm mauser sporterized that was give to me by Gramps. My long range gun is a Savage FCP-K in .300 WM. The Savage is stock now, but I ordered a SSS stock that should be here Sept/Oct. I'm set up quite nicely to reload for .300 WM. I would like a an AR type gun for plinking fun, and for my wife to shoot. I also would like to have one for general preparedness.

Is the Razor over kill? Will the PST do the trick?
If I were going to spend 2k on a scope it would not be a vortex. USO, NF, Huskemaw, Premier Reticles, Swarovski or Zeiss maybe, but not a scope produced by a company with such a short history.

I'd rather let others be the guinea pigs when we're talking about that kind of money.

Make sure and check out the new sightron tactical scopes. I have the 6-24x50lrmd/cm. I have put it side by side with a nightforce and as long as my life isnt riding on my scope, the nf was not $1000 better than my sightron. I would enjoy the zero stop feature but not needed for my uses. And definately check out swfa.com they have a link in the top right corner of their website that take you to the sample list which is where they sell all of their demos. I picked up my scope from them and saved $146 over any place else. And there was no sign that the scope had ever been touched.

You have enough there to set yourself up completely for the LR game.

PST
Leica CRF1600
Kestrel/skymate
Ballistic computer

Or, you could get a set of Swarovski 15x56 binos. That's probably what I'd do in my situation.

How about the Vortex Kaibabs and PST? (be close to limit maybe a little over)

Kaibabs and CRF1600 and shoot whatcha got? That sounds good to me.gun)

If I were going to spend 2k on a scope it would not be a vortex. USO, NF, Huskemaw, Premier Reticles, Swarovski or Zeiss maybe, but not a scope produced by a company with such a short history.

I'd rather let others be the guinea pigs when we're talking about that kind of money.

I hear where you're coming from. I've read a lot of positive reviews and testimonies about thier products and customer service. I'm kind of set on one of those two scopes, unless a great deal comes around.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.