Advice, or talk some sense into me please

I have not seen 260, 6.5x55 or any other 6.5 loads that match the quality of that Creed ammo. That being said I haven't looked hard but that Hornady Creed ammo with the A-max and ELDs flat out shoots and I have picked it up on sale for $20 that will yield ES under 10. I have personally never seen that in ANY factory ammo. Of course I must admit I haven't shot any factory ammo but the Creed since 1978 or so, so maybe I am wrong. Regardless the Creed ammo availability and its quality has contributed to its "MAGICAL ALLURE" Guys aren't used to .5 MOA factory ammo that will buck the wind and not rip your shoulder or pocketbook off.

Oh and yeah the supporters too. Lots of them anytime a case gets pushed.
The only reason you haven't found it is the fact you haven't tried to.

Start with Prime Ammunition and then work up and down the alphabet.

Unless you own a .280 AI and/or a 7mm RemMag...Which will do what they can, but better. :D

Funny thing is RIGHT NOW what those rigs WOULD do isn't what they will do NOW. Powder and bullet evolution is changing the landscape in ways I never thought possible. A 1970 7mm RM and one today are two completely different animals, just as a 270 win with a 8 twist running 170s and Superperformance is a totally different rig than Jack O'connors 130 gr 270.

The world is a changing....A LOT.

Guys are running 300WM to where I was running an 300RUM in 2000 and even beyond since I was shooting a 210 VLD not a 215 Hybrid.
RL17 has changed many cases in ways never seen, so is RL26 33 and CFE 223.
Bullets are even crazier. .8BC 338s everywhere. .7 7mms falling out of trees. 115 DTACS? 230 Bergers?

These new advances make a 1970 300 win mag and a 2017 308 a lot closer than anyone would have imagined in 1970 or even today. Every time I turn around a case has bettered its traditional performance by 1-200+ FPS with 30% better wind at 1k, longer barrel life and massively higher killing power at LR.

Its just a different world nowadays.

The only reason you haven't found it is the fact you haven't tried to.

Start with Prime Ammunition and then work up and down the alphabet.
May be ya got me there, the only reason I shot any factory Creed is I couldn't find brass the day I bought it and bought 400 rds of factory to pull bullets on...until I chronoed and shot it. After that I just shot it all and then started reloading it.

Still comparing Prime a boutique manufacturer isn't exactly a fair deal. Sort of like running Remmy Core Lokt against Black Hills, but point taken.

Funny thing is RIGHT NOW what those rigs WOULD do isn't what they will do NOW. Powder and bullet evolution is changing the landscape in ways I never thought possible. A 1970 7mm RM and one today are two completely different animals, just as a 270 win with a 8 twist running 170s and Superperformance is a totally different rig than Jack O'connors 130 gr 270.

The world is a changing....A LOT.

Guys are running 300WM to where I was running an 300RUM in 2000 and even beyond since I was shooting a 210 VLD not a 215 Hybrid.
RL17 has changed many cases in ways never seen, so is RL26 33 and CFE 223.
Bullets are even crazier. .8BC 338s everywhere. .7 7mms falling out of trees. 115 DTACS? 230 Bergers?

These new advances make a 1970 300 win mag and a 2017 308 a lot closer than anyone would have imagined in 1970 or even today. Every time I turn around a case has bettered its traditional performance by 1-200+ FPS with 30% better wind at 1k, longer barrel life and massively higher killing power at LR.

Its just a different world nowadays.
RL23 is also proving to be a heck of a game changer in the .308 size/based cases as well.

You are certainly right though, the evolution of sporting arms just since I started getting interested in them in the early/mid 70's has been and continues to be utterly amazing.

RL23 is also proving to be a heck of a game changer in the .308 size/based cases as well.

You are certainly right though, the evolution of sporting arms just since I started getting interested in them in the early/mid 70's has been and continues to be utterly amazing.

ESPECIALLY the LR part of it. Anyone who hates BERGER should think about it. The spur in bullets was certainly driven by them TO SOME EXTENT and the powders.....IDK but flat out incredible.

May be ya got me there, the only reason I shot any factory Creed is I couldn't find brass the day I bought it and bought 400 rds of factory to pull bullets on...until I chronoed and shot it. After that I just shot it all and then started reloading it.

Still comparing Prime a boutique manufacturer isn't exactly a fair deal. Sort of like running Remmy Core Lokt against Black Hills, but point taken.
I don't know what you mean by a "boutique manufacturer" but they are producing popular calibers for long range shooters and doing it to a very high degree and at very reasonable prices.

Their's is running about half of what Corbon is costing and significantly less than even Black Hills was running a couple of years ago.

Anyone with an internet connection and a credit card can have top quality ammo for the .260 as well as components delivered to their doorstep in 2-3 days anywhere in the US.

No doubt for many we end up with what we have because it's what was available when we were looking and with small town stores there's generally a short list of calibers and manufacturers available.

I got stuck on .220 Swift instead of 22-250 for that very reason. I went to the gun shop to get a 22-250 and all they had on the rack was a Ruger No 1 in .220 Swift. It was love at first sight and I've never been without a Swift since. That was I think 1978.

ESPECIALLY the LR part of it. Anyone who hates BERGER should think about it. The spur in bullets was certainly driven by them TO SOME EXTENT and the powders.....IDK but flat out incredible.
I don't shoot Berger's at game but I have always been glad to give them credit for pushing the other bullet manufacturers to dig in and produce higher BC bullets for us to shoot.

I have shot quite a few Bergers at varmints and predators though.gun)

Nope, having the others is no excuse and please don't let my wife hear you speaking such heresy, she might believe it! gun)

Haha! :D I have never cared much for the .277 bore, simply because I've always shot 7mm's, and if you own a .284 bore, theres really no point in owning a .277, because they're so close in diameter. Just my opinion.

Feel the same way....I owned one .270 win in my life a blr.....I bought it off a guy for $250, guess he hated it also...within three days I sold it for $450.00....great investment.. Hopefully the Lord shall cleanse me of this blemish !!

That of course isn't true. Try doing a search for ammo for them all and you'll find there's plenty of it out there and at reasonable prics.

The CM's popularity is driven mainly by a handful of "writers" and a whole bunch of internet experts posting on bulletin boards.

The 6.5CM isn't anything special, there are several 6.5's on the market that outperform it and the Swede has been doing it for more than 120 years.

There's a pretty good article here comparing the new 6.5's to each other and to the Swede as well.

6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

6.5x55 doesn't fit in AI mags or SA 700s. It's a medium length cartridge and like most of em, that's an Achilles heel here in the US.

Does anyone chamber a 6.5x47 for mass production in the US? How much does a box of Lapua match cost?

260 match ammo is Prime (bad hunting bullets) or HSM (not match grade), neither compete with the price or accuracy of the Hornady Creedmoor stuff.

Hornady 6.5- g1 BC of .7 @2750fps in a mag fed SA for twenty couple bucks a box, and they're awesome hunting bullets. Shooters are competing at national levels with $24 a box ammo. No surprise it's popular, take your $300 6x SWFA, mount it to your $350 SS Ruger American Rifle, buy 100 rds of match ammo, your banging steel out to 1k on your first day, and ready for hunting season too, all for under $700. There isn't another cartridge that gives someone all of that. The 260 and others CAN, but, as lamented throughout these last pages, they don't and prolly won't.

Haha! :D I have never cared much for the .277 bore, simply because I've always shot 7mm's, and if you own a .284 bore, theres really no point in owning a .277, because they're so close in diameter. Just my opinion.

Never been a fan myself either..... much rather shoot 7mm or 6.5mm. Never really got the point of the 27 cal or even the 25cal for that matter. I guess just adds some variety to the shooting world:D

6.5x55 doesn't fit in AI mags or SA 700s. It's a medium length cartridge and like most of em, that's an Achilles heel here in the US.

Does anyone chamber a 6.5x47 for mass production in the US? How much does a box of Lapua match cost?

260 match ammo is Prime (bad hunting bullets) or HSM (not match grade), neither compete with the price or accuracy of the Hornady Creedmoor stuff.

Hornady 6.5- g1 BC of .7 @2750fps in a mag fed SA for twenty couple bucks a box, and they're awesome hunting bullets. Shooters are competing at national levels with $24 a box ammo. No surprise it's popular, take your $300 6x SWFA, mount it to your $350 SS Ruger American Rifle, buy 100 rds of match ammo, your banging steel out to 1k on your first day, and ready for hunting season too, all for under $700. There isn't another cartridge that gives someone all of that. The 260 and others CAN, but, as lamented throughout these last pages, they don't and prolly won't.

Uh no hornady 6.5 bullet has a .7 bc. The 147 may be close but it's not a .7. The 140 eld-m has a average bc of .633 over the velocity range which is still pretty darn good. The average bc of the 147 escapes me for now but I know it's not .7

The 147gr ELD-M is .697, my conscience didn't bother me to call it a .7. Some of my friends shooting them in the SAUM have told me that BC is trues to dope at range at SAUM velocities (3100-3150). Not sure if you might lose a hundredth or two at Creed velocity with an eight twist, maybe.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.