Switching to non dominant side shooting?

Yep…. I 'm lucky, mine was by choice rather than necessity!

I was sitting on the ground, when a nice buck deer came past at close range to my right. I couldn't reposition to make the shot without spooking the deer …..and missed that opportunity!
After that happened, I went home and began practicing my "weak side" rifle shooting! A few years later, I had a similar opportunity……closing the deal with a "weak side" shot taken! memtb

Good luck. I've been trying to do the same thing due to a work related injury and finding its not the easiest thing to do. Hope it works out for you

Thanks for all the input. I am practicing just a little this year as my season will likely be over in 3 weeks, second kiddo on the way.

I think I am just gonna see where the eye is at the start of the year and go from there. I will say one thing shooting a light 30-06 and in-line muzzleloader on your offside from a less than optimal shooting position at the range was revolting. haha

On the positive side while I am right handed and have always shot right handed, but I am very left eye dominant. So much so that I shoot pistols very well from a weaver-ish stance favoring my left side. Maybe it was a sign....

Thanks for all the input. I am practicing just a little this year as my season will likely be over in 3 weeks, second kiddo on the way.

I think I am just gonna see where the eye is at the start of the year and go from there. I will say one thing shooting a light 30-06 and in-line muzzleloader on your offside from a less than optimal shooting position at the range was revolting. haha

On the positive side while I am right handed and have always shot right handed, but I am very left eye dominant. So much so that I shoot pistols very well from a weaver-ish stance favoring my left side. Maybe it was a sign....
I wouldn't wait. I'd get started ASAP. Either way it'll benefit you in the long run. You don't own a 22 LR, WMR, 17HMR, ETC ? Good training tools.

Another thing that might help is to shoot some trap. If you're "still hunting", being able to ship your rifle up into shooting position quickly is important. While I can shoot just fine with my off hand, for quick shots, my automatic response was to pull the gun up to my normalt side.

I take AREDS 2 formula eye vitamins to stave off macular degeneration. Several people have told me their eyesight improved by taking them. Worth a try. Available at Costco.

Attachments

• tempImage8g2VLc.png
    tempImage8g2VLc.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
I wouldn't wait. I'd get started ASAP. Either way it'll benefit you in the long run. You don't own a 22 LR, WMR, 17HMR, ETC ? Good training tools.
Oh I definitely do have this stuff but with rifle season already in full swing, full time job, 2 yr old and second little girl about 3 weeks away time for practice is not a luxury I am currently afforded. It's only really affected in full sun or when I get hot.
I'm giving my best shot in the next 10 days or so to put a doe or two in the freezer or a buck if one is stupid enough to step out in front of me and that might just be my season this year.

Another thing that might help is to shoot some trap. If you're "still hunting", being able to ship your rifle up into shooting position quickly is important. While I can shoot just fine with my off hand, for quick shots, my automatic response was to pull the gun up to my normalt side.

I take AREDS 2 formula eye vitamins to stave off macular degeneration. Several people have told me their eyesight improved by taking them. Worth a try. Available at Costco.
Might be worth a try, even if it helps with other eye issues. What I am dealing with is the insulating layer on the optic nerve being stripped off. So basically signals aren't conducted at full strength.

I shoot sporting clays and I was thinking I have been meaning to try to shoot left handed due to eye dominance for years. Now I may be forced.

will say one thing shooting a light 30-06 and in-line muzzleloader on your offside from a less than optimal shooting position at the range was revolting. haha
Don't sweat it if you need to step down in caliber or download some rounds for awhile, get those fundamentals build back up the right way. I agree that a 22LR will give you a lot of trigger pulls for cheap practice. If you don't reload already come stop by that forum and we can get you learned up on making some lighter rounds for the 30-06, I've shot that round for my whole life and I'll admit I shoot reduced recoil pretty often.

Hope your #2 comes to join you without any issues. If you can raise kids you can learn to shoot a rifle again, heck should be a lot easier than dealing with daughters. 👍

My 2 young boys are right handed left eye dominant and the patch over right eye has helped alot shooting left handed. I catch them all the time shooting bb guns right handed and correct them.

I'm left handed, but right eye dominate. When I shoot off the bench I shoot left handed. All other positions I shoot right handed. Up until about 8-10 years ago I shot handguns left-handed. Made the switch to right handed. Takes lots of practice.

My boy is left eyed right handed so for his moose gun I put a eotec on a rem 700.
Looked and felt funny but worked like a charm. Of course he also wasn't dealing with distance