shooting non lead muzzle loader

Yes, If you are talking about 50 cal....I killed two cow elk with all copper bullets. First one with the Barnes 250 gr 45 cal in a sabot at 60 yds. Full penetration and quick death. Second was using a 300 gr Thor Hammer bullet at 280 yards. Went through entire body at an angle from front shoulder to opposite rear hip. Found bullet in hip weighed 97% of original weight.

Barnes makes those bullets for Thor. They come in different diameters you will need a sizer kit to see what diameter works best in your rifle.

I've used both the Thor .501's and bor-lock bullets in my 50 cal,- both are sub moa with open sights for me but the federal loads easier

Yes, If you are talking about 50 cal....I killed two cow elk with all copper bullets. First one with the Barnes 250 gr 45 cal in a sabot at 60 yds. Full penetration and quick death. Second was using a 300 gr Thor Hammer bullet at 280 yards. Went through entire body at an angle from front shoulder to opposite rear hip. Found bullet in hip weighed 97% of original weight.

Barnes makes those bullets for Thor. They come in different diameters you will need a sizer kit to see what diameter works best in your rifle.

thank you, my son drew a muzzle loader hunt in Arizona and just went out and bought a muzzle loader and now needs to learn how to shoot it and dial it in.

I've had nothing but good results with non-lead projectiles in my Remington 700 ultimate and also the old Remington 700ML's. Barnes, Federal Bor-Loks, Remington solid coppers that are just a Barnes bullet in a Remington designed sabot. From 20 yards to 240 yards, never lost a deer. They always shot very good and some shot exceptional.

If you're hunting elk, I'd recommend the heaviest bullets you can find. I've used Hornady FPB 350 with good results (no longer sold but similar to Thors) and Barnes 300 gr. Expander MZ.

has anyone have any success shooting a muzzleloader with non lead ammo?
I use barnes .458 300 grn tsx bullets in my 50 cal muzzleloaders with MMP (orange) .458 50 cal sabots. The best bullets I've found to shoot in a muzzleloader. I was sick of bullets not passing through deer with 150 grn pellet and now blackhorn 209 loads. Problem solved. I push them at a touch over 2k fps.

Have used Cutting Edge .44cal 250gr Maximus. with Green Harvester .50 cal sabot. 210gr are nice too...

Also used the Hornady Monoflex.

What caliber can you shoot in AZ ? CO has .50 minimum for elk
Scoped or open sights ?
Can you shoot Blackhorn 209 and/or smokeless ?
Might also post this in the muzzleloading section

Congrats on the tag !

I've used both the Thor .501's and bor-lock bullets in my 50 cal,- both are sub moa with open sights for me but the federal loads easier

What caliber can you shoot in AZ ? CO has .50 minimum for elk
Scoped or open sights ?
Can you shoot Blackhorn 209 and/or smokeless ?
Might also post this in the muzzleloading section

Congrats on the tag !
not sure on the minimum caliber but can use 209 primers and a scope

not sure on the minimum caliber but can use 209 primers and a scope
Are you deer hunting in Kaibab? Only Kaibab "urges" non lead for hunting.
Elsewhere in AZ you can shoot anything from lead slugs, patched ball to sabot rounds.
The twist in your barrel will dictate the bullet in many cases. Not sure what you have on twist.

Drew the south side of the canyon, not lucky enough to draw the Kaibab, only had a few points. Trying to go hunting more and stop playing the points game

Thought I would mention this:

Can you hunt with lead bullets in Arizona?

Arizona only bans lead ammunition for hunting waterfowl. In an effort to reduce the lead threat to condors, the Arizona Game and Fish Department encourages the use of non-lead ammunition, the court said, and makes such ammo available to hunters for free during the big-game hunting season.May 30, 2019

You don't have to use non lead. If you read the thread in the Muzzle loader section you may have heard about Fury's bonded bullet called the Universal. I no longer use the Thor as I mentioned above. Two of my friends also switched to the Fury universal bullets. They are easy to load and very accurate and lethal.

link: