Switching to non dominant side shooting?

VTbluegrass

Anyone ever get forced by a crap hand of luck to have to switch shooting sides? Sure I've shot the occasional deer of my left shoulder at close distances because time and proximity didn't allow moving. But I am looking at the potential of having to switch. Tried at the range the other day and I could hardly get into shooting position on the bench or prone.
Eye went blurry suddenly in September, several visits to the eye doctor, ER, MRIs, spinal fluid testing, blood work and I now have a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. Eye is recovering but full sunlight or trying any long range out of my right eye the color contrast just is t there for precision shooting. It may recover fully by the end of the year according to docs, but that still kinda kills this season.

Anyone ever get forced by a crap hand of luck to have to switch shooting sides? Sure I've shot the occasional deer of my left shoulder at close distances because time and proximity didn't allow moving. But I am looking at the potential of having to switch. Tried at the range the other day and I could hardly get into shooting position on the bench or prone.
Eye went blurry suddenly in September, several visits to the eye doctor, ER, MRIs, spinal fluid testing, blood work and I now have a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis. Eye is recovering but full sunlight or trying any long range out of my right eye the color contrast just is t there for precision shooting. It may recover fully by the end of the year according to docs, but that still kinda kills this season.
If I can do it with a bow, you can do it with a rifle. Commit to it and give it a month or so. It will be second nature by then. Good luck and I know you can do it.

You can do it, with practice you will get more comfortable and teach you muscles. And your eye will adjust also. I will frequently shoot with my less dominant shoulder and hand just because you never know

You will be surprised what the human body can accommodate, acclimate to. With practice and determination you can make the switch successfully. It is within your will. Dry fire and position building practice are good investments. It will feel odd, impossible at first. The will is in your mind. Best wishes for continuing to shoot successfully.

Yes. Scleral buckle changed my dominant eye. Forced me to change dominant side. One of the better changes for me. After a little practice it really made building clearing and obstacles a seamless flow. Embrace it, don't curse it. You will be well ahead of your one arm peers.

The upside is you can use your experience to teach yourself to be even better. I did it after my right side/hand was crushed. I didn't make the same mistakes.

Years ago when I got my "Concealed Permit" my instructor ( Pistol ) had won the National Championship….
He had gone blind in his dominant eye and had switched to the other eye…. and won the National Championship.

If I can do it with a bow, you can do it with a rifle. Commit to it and give it a month or so. It will be second nature by then. Good luck and I know you can do it.
I did the same thing with a bow. Right handed bows are easier to come by (used are cheaper & more plentiful in RH). I still shoot a right handed (Mathews compound) bow left handed at times just to see if it's still doable. And give my shoulder a break. I am right handed. Just left eye & foot dominant.

I can't tell you how sad I am to hear of your issue. Sucks! I dislocated my right shoulder which then required several surgeries to repair 4 years long. I had to switch to lefty shooting. As someone stated, you MUST fully commit. I realized that if i wanted to continue shooting, i didn't have a choice. I had one hell of a time doing this, but eventually was able to. I lost 2 seasons due it until I finally got used to it. Sort of. I can shoot both ways now, but its a compromise. I hope you get fully back up and running! Stay safe and have fun.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, so my dad had me start shooting BB guns and toy rifles left handed at an early age. When I started shooting a lot, I was actually better with a pistol because I could use my right hand and left eye. Fast forward 50 years, and I injured my left shoulder, and had to hunt right handed. It went amazingly well. Probably easier because I'm right handed.

If I were you, I'd buy a quality pellet gun, and practice daily at home. It will take a while to get a feel for it, but that is inexpensive practice that you can do every day.

They have done experiments where they put glasses on people that turned everything upside down. After 3 weeks, everything looked right side up to them. Then everything was upside down when they took off the glasses (for about 3 weeks). The ability of the human brain and body to adapt to the demands we make on it are astounding.

I have a friend who suffers with MS. She lives a healthy lifestye and is doing amazingly well at 68. Hope you can do the same.