Switched stocks and now i have vertical stringing

Thanx for the reply ingwe, this particular stock has a 11/4" barrel channel and there is a clear 1/8inch or more , all the way around. I just torqued the action screws to 60 inch pounds instead of the 50 recommended by the stock maker. Hoping my torque wrench is just out of spec. Gonna load up some more and try again once it cools down here, brutal in the hudson valley this week
Torque the front 50 as recommended and the back (trigger) at 30....try it out and torque the back 3-5 lbs more after each 2-3 shots until you see an improvement...might be the problem

When I restocked my savages, I made certain to free float the tang just like the barrel. Make sure the rear pillar supports the action to the back of the screw hole, but no contact from there back to the end of the tang. The first time I did an aluminum pillar job, I cut too much away from the back of that rear screw hole because I was concerned about the sear touching it. I was so fixated on that issue that I didn't fully support the rear screw. Once I replaced that rear pillar with a much closer fit to the sear that rifle became what I'll call "torque insensitive", in other words, any torque level from 35 to 60 was ok as long as front and rear were equal.

Last edited:
Range update! Floating the tang cured the stringing 100%! , tuning the torque on the action screws yielded very promising results as well.
Thanx so much guys for your help. Heres's a group at 100. Can't say enough about the help you guy's provide. Thanx again

Attachments

• B6E978A1-CC9D-4EA7-98A6-17867DF416C3.jpeg
    B6E978A1-CC9D-4EA7-98A6-17867DF416C3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
Got a 6.5 Creed/Accustock LRH with vertical stringing problems. After this thread, I was all over it with some sandpaper! I pretty much gave up on it. Guess we'll see after I load a few.
Yea buddy, sandpaper and a torquewrench

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.