vertical stringing groups

jacack

what the most common couse for this,I am getting very tight groups but the have some vertical dispersion

Jared

the gun is a 6mm Br on a neiska action with a hart barrel and night force scope.I know its not the gun.I think its in the loading,I was shooting two guns at the time and my other wasnt getting the same problem so I dont think it was me either.but who knows

jared

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I am getting very tight groups but the have some vertical dispersion <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess the first question would be, how much vertical your getting and at what distance? My immediate answer would be the same 338-378's, but it could also be shooter error with bench technique, breathing etc.

As Brent said also it could be a million things but you only gave a little information to go on.

Jim

the gun shoots .1's and .2's @ 100 on a regualr basis.these groups would be that good except they go about .5 to .6 vertical but are still in the .2 range horizontal.not to toot my own horn but I dont think its me,I shot both my bench guns that day and the other shot the way it should be shooting,but this one did the vertical thing and has never done it in the past yr that I have had the gun.I think its in the load,I was shooting 30.5grns of H322 with lupua cases and 70nbts.

Did you change the primers? New lot of powder or bullets? First thing I would do is to go up/down in the loads. Just been my own experience is that vertical is too mild a load. But your load sounds like a max load. So I would try to back off on the charge first.

I used to have pretty good luck with Varget when I had my 6BR.

Just some of my initial thoughts.

Jim

varget? I have never used it or heard of anyone useing it,what charges where you working with?

Jared

If I remember right is was 31-32 grains. I used remington cases and Federal 210M primers with Berger 70 gr bullets. Not sure what starting or max is.

Jim

Have you changed component in the load?
Was the load used, used before with consistant results over several series of groups?
Was the other rifle shooting the same cartridge too, or a different cartridge altogether?
Has this gun ever shown a tendency to do this before?

I suspect a primer change or load reduction could cure it at this point though.

I had some verticle stringing in my 300 Ultra recently I worked out somehow. By somehow I mean I changed about three different things at once regaurding the load and one of them got rid of it.

I had cases prepped already with different primers and so I used them just for the hell of it. Now I still have to go back and find what was causing it, but at least it's gone.

Inconsistant ignition, untuned load, inferior factory recoil lug, bedding, pressure on barrel from forend inconsistant from heating or rest pressure, inconsistant pressure on shoulder and hold, flinching, jerking the trigger, action screws loosening or wrong torque, scope base or ring movement, bolt misalignment causing contact on lower lug only, etc.

All can contribute, just a process of elimination. I'm not sure what the most common one would be, but there's probably many that fit that statement based on the fact that alot of them are present in factory rifles from the get go.

What's the components being used? More specific help or experiences might be had if we knew more.

Jared

couple things. conditions or load dev

1. tail or head wind conditions during group being shot.

2. come up or down .2 grain on powder

3. come of seating depth by .05

Try those if it was not conditions.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts