Switched stocks and now i have vertical stringing

Oldschool280

yep, have an older savage 110 that i recently put a shilen 7mag barrel on.
Prior to the new stock, i had the factory wood stock that i floated the barrel on. Rifle shot great with 162 eld-x's ( bughole at 100) . I recently acquired a choate long range varmint stock and took it to the range. I experienced quite large vertical stringing issues when fired off of my usual rest. The original stock was not bedded, the new stock is not bedded either , other than the aluminum block it comes with. Do you think it's driver error? Maybe the pistol grip is changing something? I read somewhere the stock may need weight in the back. I might try that next. As always thanx in advance for any and all input, criticism.

My bet is that the barrel is touching the stock somewhere.

Slide an index card between the barrel and stock to find out where. Once you do remove material from the stock so it is free floating and you "should" be good to go
Thanx for the reply ingwe, this particular stock has a 11/4" barrel channel and there is a clear 1/8inch or more , all the way around. I just torqued the action screws to 60 inch pounds instead of the 50 recommended by the stock maker. Hoping my torque wrench is just out of spec. Gonna load up some more and try again once it cools down here, brutal in the hudson valley this week

Thanx for the reply ingwe, this particular stock has a 11/4" barrel channel and there is a clear 1/8inch or more , all the way around. I just torqued the action screws to 60 inch pounds instead of the 50 recommended by the stock maker. Hoping my torque wrench is just out of spec. Gonna load up some more and try again once it cools down here, brutal in the hudson valley this week

Best of luck brother!

BTW where do you shoot in the HV? I'm in Yonkers

I think you may be going the wrong way with your action torque. 50 is on the high side and 60 is 'too much'. Something to consider:
https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/e...What-is-the-torque-spec-for-my-action-screws-
What is the torque spec for my action screws?
Accustock models - 40 inch pounds (including wedge screw)

Centerfire w/ synthetic stock - 30-35 inch pounds

Centerfire w/ wood stock - 30-35 inch pounds

Centerfire w/ laminate stock - 30-35 inch pounds

Rimfire w/ any stock - 15 inch pounds

I think you may be going the wrong way with your action torque. 50 is on the high side and 60 is 'too much'. Something to consider:
https://savagearms.zendesk.com/hc/e...What-is-the-torque-spec-for-my-action-screws-
What is the torque spec for my action screws?
Accustock models - 40 inch pounds (including wedge screw)

Centerfire w/ synthetic stock - 30-35 inch pounds

Centerfire w/ wood stock - 30-35 inch pounds

Centerfire w/ laminate stock - 30-35 inch pounds

Rimfire w/ any stock - 15 inch pounds
Thanx for that, i will now bring the wrench to the range!

Davis in florida ny has an automated indoor 100 yard range, sheepdog warrior in cAtskill goes to 1000

What a small world! I shoot at Davis quite often. I haven't been to Sheepdog yet but only because I've been busy lately

What a small world! I shoot at Davis quite often. I haven't been to Sheepdog yet but only because I've been busy lately
I try to go when the old timer rich is in the range , he's a wildcatter and loading jedi. The weekends it turns into the wild west and the range officer is not my type of guy

I try to go when the old timer rich is in the range , he's a wildcatter and loading jedi. The weekends it turns into the wild west and the range officer is not my type of guy

I know exactly who you are referring to lol!
Yes, Rich is awesome! A real old school old timer....dying breed.

PS at sheepdog, can you shoot steel and paper out to 1,000?

Also, how do you check your impacts?

How I read it you took a rifle that shoots well and replaced the stock which then began to string vertically. First I would confirm my barrel is floated. Torque action screws to proper specs. ("I lightly tap the butt of my rifle on the ground and tighten the screws to ensure full lug contact. Something I saw a legend in the business do and started copying him.") you might play with the torque a little to see if there's a sweet spot. If that doesn't work I would begin to wonder if I need to work up a new load. Changing the stock can greatly alter a loads accuracy. Hell if you have to see how it shoots in the original stock. That will eliminate a lot of possibilities

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.