Switched stocks and now i have vertical stringing

Ok... so I floated the rear tang on the accustock (6.5 Creedmoor LRH model 11). Loaded up some stuff that's worked OK before and ran out to the range. Well, not only was it shooting poorly but I was piercing primers. Must be hot temps or something (H-4350). Stable powders aren't as stable as we'd like to think. I dropped the charge weight down some and took 20 bullets and a torque wrench to the range. I left the torque super high (60 ip front screw & 65 ip rear) which is what it took just to get a decent group prior to floating. Well, it was suck-o but the vertical stringing was gone. I reset both screws, starting @ 25 inch pounds and worked up in 5 ip increments. The results are promising. It settled right in at 35 i.p. I'll load some more bullets and tune the action screws more. I fully tuned the action screws before I floated the rear tang but groups remained a mess with vertical stringing. I'll now have to re-tune the load as #1, I'm getting a sticky bolt sometimes and #2, the harmonics are all different. I'm not ready to say "all better now" but it looks very promising. Anyway, thanks for the thread. New hope for a gun I pretty much gave up on.

Attachments

• model11ActTune.jpg
    model11ActTune.jpg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.