SWFA vs Elite 3200 mil/mil

SBD

As some of you have seen from my previous posts, I'm helping my 18yr old build his 1st (semi)-LR rig. Its a 700 in 7mm-08 and it's an ADL (blind mag) so decent low price stocks have been hard to find in stock. So we're going with a Choate Tactical. Now to glass... Keeping it simple and fairly low priced.

We had our hearts set on a SWFA SS 10x42 mil/moa - Then the release of the mil/mil version has us waiting again. So today we came across the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical in mil/mil for $199 vs the (pending) SWFA for $299 - Thoughts? Should he wait for the SWFA and spend the extra $100? Or is $199 for the Bushnell worth it?

I too was thinking of the 10x Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical but have yet to look through either ,so if someone out there has any insight let us know.

As some of you have seen from my previous posts, I'm helping my 18yr old build his 1st (semi)-LR rig. Its a 700 in 7mm-08 and it's an ADL (blind mag) so decent low price stocks have been hard to find in stock. So we're going with a Choate Tactical. Now to glass... Keeping it simple and fairly low priced.

We had our hearts set on a SWFA SS 10x42 mil/moa - Then the release of the mil/mil version has us waiting again. So today we came across the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical in mil/mil for $199 vs the (pending) SWFA for $299 - Thoughts? Should he wait for the SWFA and spend the extra $100? Or is $199 for the Bushnell worth it?

I have to say, in my opinion, the Bushnell is impossible to beat at the price point. Suprisingly good glass. I will also say, the SWFA is better in my view. As good as the Elite 4200 Glass/construction. However, I thought the SWFA 10 X 42 HD's were in the $600 range?

I have to say, in my opinion, the Bushnell is impossible to beat at the price point. Suprisingly good glass. I will also say, the SWFA is better in my view. As good as the Elite 4200 Glass/construction. However, I thought the SWFA 10 X 42 HD's were in the $600 range?
No the fixed power versions are all $299 or $399 for side focus models. The variables start at $599 and up with the HD models even higher. I wasn't looking for an HD version. Just the basic SFP versions.

So with that being said.. Are the standard SWFA's THAT much better?

No the fixed power versions are all $299 or $399 for side focus models. The variables start at $599 and up with the HD models even higher. I wasn't looking for an HD version. Just the basic SFP versions.

So with that being said.. Are the standard SWFA's THAT much better?

They are better. Better constructed, better glass IMO. $100 better? yes

The SWFA S.S. are a more reliable scope for alot of knob turning. If you are planing to do hold over/under you could save some $ with the bushnell.

I also vote for the SWFA, though admittedly I don't have the Bushnell to compare it against. My reason for advocating them, however is that if you're looking to shoot semi-LR you're going to be doing a lot of dialing on the knobs. The SWFA knobs are all machined brass adjustments with audible "click" and very little mush. There's no question on the clicks, and the rest of the scope is mil-spec. I realize that it's not a NF or Mark IV, but in my opinion for the 300-800 ranges the SWFA 10x is a steal, and it is very high quality.

After a lot of my own research, I took the leap and put one on my Savage FCPHS .308. I hit a milkjug four out of six times in a 10mph full value wind at 700 yards the other day, prone and rested on my pack. I'm not saying that the Bushnell couldn't do the same thing, I'm just saying that for my money the SWFA is the better investment - built like a tank and does a great job with the constant dialing I do.

- $0.02

Thanks guys... Yeah thats about what I figured. No let's see how long it takes for them to release the MIL/MIL version of the SS MRAD line. It's just not so easy to explain to an 18yr old he has to wait, especially when he has the $$$ to buy something now!

He could buy the 5-15x Vortex Viper HS from Midway USA for $400. It's .1 Mil clicks and optically appears quite nice for the price (just got it today, haven't really had a chance to do any excessive testing). The clicks feel solid, but I honestly have never used a SS to compare them directly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.