MIL vs. MOA

I think the reason for the mixing of adjustments and reticles is simplicity. We are all used to inch adjustments. It is what we have all been exposed to for many generations. We think in inches, see in inches, and it is second nature. As has been said already, a IPHY or MOA reticle is very busy, to the point of being distracting for most applications. The average shooter/hunter does not need the stuff in the way when shooting, so the minimal appearance of mil dots works better. I know that I use the combination in my shooting. I dial elevation and hold for windage. The mil dot gives an easy reference for holding off a target. Holding in between the dots is easy, and gives about 9" at 500yds. It's a quick way to adjust for a miss. At times, I will hold the first windage dot at the edge of a target for a wind correction. Nothing else to get in the way.
If you are interested in using your scope to determine range, then matching the adjustments with the reticle is much more important.
If you get a chance, find a shop that stocks Vortex. They offer a lot of different reticles, from mil dot, to moa, to two different types of bdc. It will give a good idea of what they look like. Most serious shooter will use mil/mil because they use it to range and dial for unknown distances. It works well for them. It is more difficult to find mil/mil scopes, but they are mostly of high quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.