Swarovski RangeFinder

Just a tip. If you want to confirm a target at near max range for your unit. Hang an old licence plate on a post by the target. Many of the old plates are reflective and will range like a road sign.

Dang, I thought this was my secret:)

Did the battery/lock up issue that both you of you have seen change characteristics with a new vs. used battery?

Mine is starting to do it more frequently, despite a fresh set of batteries. I can get around 50-75 measurements, and then it locks up. Remove/install the battery, starts working like a champ.

I'll be interested in hearing how your Swaro #4 works for you Broz.

Did the battery/lock up issue that both you of you have seen change characteristics with a new vs. used battery?

Mine is starting to do it more frequently, despite a fresh set of batteries. I can get around 50-75 measurements, and then it locks up. Remove/install the battery, starts working like a champ.

I'll be interested in hearing how your Swaro #4 works for you Broz.

No, all of mine did it with new or old batteries. It is a circut problem and it sounds like you have one.

Swaro number 4 is working fine and has not frozen with a few months of use now. As all swaros it will record longer numbers due to its larger beam but I stand by my statement that the larger beam can get you in trouble, as it is not as precise and will range objects in the fore or aft and give you a wrong distance. A few days ago mt Leica did out range my new Swaro. This was on a day with a very light haze and I was ranging from target back to the driveway on a car. I had them both solid on a sand bag. Swaro would not touch it and the Lieca 1200 CRF did several times. Distance was 1171 yards.

Jeff

Jeff

Hmmmm. Much to ponder now. Might need to get my hands on a CRF 1200 for a looksee.

Was the 1171 yd target "reflective"? The reason I ask is because I've hit boulders, rock washes, and dirt banks at over 1100 yds pretty consistently with my LG. I tagged road signs at over 1700 yds several times, and then it seem to match up with the vehicle odometer.

After all your testing with the CRF, and LG, what do you now consider the "max effective range" of each Laser under ideal conditions on a semi reflective target like rock face, boulder etc?

Do you have a preference on which Laser you carry on certain hunts? Flat country = CRF, vertical country = LG?

Thanks.

Jeff
Was the 1171 yd target "reflective"?

After all your testing with the CRF, and LG, what do you now consider the "max effective range" of each Laser under ideal conditions on a semi reflective target like rock face, boulder etc?

Do you have a preference on which Laser you carry on certain hunts? Flat country = CRF, vertical country = LG?

Thanks.

Yes, I truely believe I was ranging the license plate of a car in the driveway. This was a tough day for ranging, but I was surprised the Leica did it and the Swaro would not.

Max range on rocks and trees (not game) in perfect conditions.
Swaro= 1999 yards Leica= 1585 yards

Yes, I carry both, and on flat ground I use the Leica CRF. If I am ranging into the side of a hill or slope I grab the swaro.

I have been using both units side by side for about a year now. I use them a lot!! I bet I don't go 3 or 4 days with out using one, and durring hunting season, daily. They are both good units but one needs to know the weakness of each unit. For a true comparison hold them tight on a sand bag on the hood of a truck. This is way better for me than a tripod because I can depress the button with out moving the unit.

The difference of what unit is best for each hunter depends of these things.

Max distance of GAME you will be shooting... not rocks and trees.

The terrain you will be hunting in.

Is your budget $900 or $600

Jeff gun)gun)

If it were only one of the two witch one Broz?

Well, I would have to go with the Leica CRF till I could afford a $3 K unit.

Here is why I personally feel this way.

I believe I can be more accurate on distance with the CRF due to its smaller beam. Although it is a bit harder to hold, and works best on a rest past 700.

It is much faster to range.

Lighter and smaller to carry, glass is excellent.

I take very few shots at game over 1000 yards.

The reticle and display are much easier to see.

From the 3 CRF's I have owned and still have two I have never had one fail and need repair.

$300 less

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.