Swarovski Rangefinder as a substitute for binos?

Beowolf

Has anyone used the Swarovski 8x30 laser rangefinder in lieu of binoculars? I'm debating if I should buy the rangefinder for $899 or a pair of their SLC 10x42's for $1300. I'm leaning towards the rangefinder (don't have money for both) as I need to have a rangefinder anyways. I'm seriously wondering now if I couldn't just use the rangefinder for both duties, glassing and ranging.

Has anyone tried this? Do you get big time eye-fatigue in the one eye, or does the loss of depth perception alter your ability to spot game, etc?

You might put a few more $ together and consider a pair of Leica Geovids, does both and a pretty fair job. Only carry one unit but get both high quality binocs with a good laser. Something to consider.

I have used mine that way recently and it works okay as long as one is not doing long term glassing.
If you are wanting to tear apart a ridge or a lot of heavy cover I would say choose the binocs.

I have one and have never experienced eye fatigue. However, as others have stated it probably won't give quite the feeling that you are really seeing everything there is to see like binoculars. Also, you can forget using them at a distance in very cloudy weather or when the light fades as it only has a 30mm objective.

-polarcow

I used my Swaros as binoculars this past deer season any they were fine. No long term glassing. I would suggest you get the Swaro Laser Guide for now and then get the binoculars later.

JD338

hi
at one of the shows in the UK i was talking to the swaro chap and he said in the not to distant future they where going to come out with a bino range finder. so i am hanging on to see if anything comes out this year coming.

if they do come out with a set they Will not be cheap thats for sure. but i will bet they will be the best out there.
so i am biding my time and will see if there is anything this year. but if you do buy swaro now then you should get a good return on them second hand as the swaro stuff all ways gets a good price.

it depends on what distance you are planning to shoot at because if you get the range finder and can not spot them then it will be a waste of cash. and if you get the binos and then can not judge the distance this all so will be a wast of time as well.

if you have enough cash in the tin i would go for the swaro range finder and a cheap pair off binos like the Leupold pinnacles, i have a set of thees binos and find them very good.

thanks
Colin

Originally, it was planned to be a bino LRF, but I don't rememeber the reasons of why that didn't go through.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm debating if I should buy the rangefinder for $899 or a pair of their SLC 10x42's for $1300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to email Lerch or I. We can save you a few pennies.

That´s great news...a swaro bino-rfI guess he didn´t mention how long it may take .......

[ QUOTE ]
That´s great news...a swaro bino-rfI guess he didn´t mention how long it may take .......

[/ QUOTE ]

no m8
he just said it was in the pipe line. but how long this pipe line is well thats anyones guess.
sure would be a nice bit of kit though.
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.