Swarovski LRF, first impressions.

AJ Peacock

I brought my new (Thanks Santa) Swaro LRF with me to Colorado over the holidays. My Brother and I played with it in a lot of hunting type situations and I'm pleased with it. I did find a couple situations that were very tough on the unit and would like everyone's input on these situations. I suspect that both of these situations are typical of all LRF.

First the good situations. All ranging was very repeatable, from my dads back porch, I had 6 targets that I ranged every time I went out of the house (the point of a hill at 1208 yards, a neighbors house at 1013yds, a ditch bank at 804yds and a tree at 214 yards) each of these targets where laser-able every time I tried them and were within a yard every time (as long as I stood in the same place). I also ranged yearling cows from 800-1600 yards from the same location.

We also used the range finder while we scouted some hunting locations, we soon discovered that trying to range rugged country at 1500+ yards requires a steady hand or a good rest.

The problem situations we found were very flat country at long range (flat desert with grass and brush. it was difficult to range 'featurless' terrain with very small targets (a lone sage bush at 1300yds).

The second tough situation we ran into, was in the morning when the sun was right at our back. It seemed that anything over 800yds was very tough to range. Big targets where tough at 1200+ in the bright sunlight (when the reflection would be toward us).

Overall, I am very pleased with the unit. I have not played with any of the other units and purchased the Swaro based on reviews on this forum.

I was always pretty good at 'guessing distance' and during our 'testing' we challenged each other to guess the distance. Its amazing how you can be perfect with one guess and then in a little different terrain miss by 25% or more.

Later,
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.