First Impressions: Eberlestock Gunslinger

Brown Dog

Had some concerns that have stopped me buying one of these for some time…

….namely, muzzle down carry and 'riding too high' above the head

Just got one in the post today………

….the rifle will actually will go in either way up! (24" barrel AWP, bipod fitted)

P1010061.jpg

P1010060.jpg

…the rifle actually rides at a good height (level with top of my head, I'm a shade under 6')

P1010063.jpg

…only minor negative point is that the pack feels a little low on my back….but I'm almost certain that's just a question of being used to something different …and getting used this one.

Summary:

Should have got one a while ago!

Nicely detailed photographs Matt,

I guess that there is plenty of storage space for items that would otherwise be put into your pockets,eg, windmeter, water bottle, spare food, first aid kit, spare ammunition, drag ropes, etc etc?

What is the weight of the pack?

Is the rifle easy to deploy from the carrying position or do you have to remove the pack from your shoulders, then the rifle from the bag?

Apologies if these are dumb questions, but I have never seen this system before,,,,and I like the idea, would make sense to me on those hill stalking trips when your'e out all day.

Oh, what was the cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

Yup, I think this is the ultimate stalking daypack. It'll take all the things you mention plus a bit of spare clothing.

It's a little over-engineered (K.I.S.S was not applied!)which makes it heavier than need be...but appears robust.

Weight is around 4-5lbs depending on whether you have the butt cover (not shown above) on or not (for comparison, a Berghaus Munro 40 litre daypack weighs about 2lbs, a Brit issue patrol pack weighs about 4lbs ...yes I was sad enough to weigh them before ordering!).

...theoretically, yes you can do a ninjitsu fast draw ....not sure it'd be an act of war though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Got it from www.greenmountaintactical.com ...$180 or thereabouts...the fellow was very helpful and it only took 5 days to arrive!(if you decide to get one, get in touch with me privately for some extra info before ordering!).

Looks good Matt,

I have made contact but not caught up with the main man yet.

Did you consider the acu colour?

Whats happened to your T8 lately you not using it?

I,ve also thought about one of these just for being able to carry the rifle in the pack...

I see there is no separation between your back and the pack, so no air ventilation as in some of the classic european trkking packs whichc is a good feature in mild /hot climate.

how does balance feel?

Brown Dog....

I have the Camo version of the Gunslinger....I absolutely love it!

If I'm not mistaken you can adjust the harness so that it will ride higher, if that's where you prefer the pack to sit.

Scott.

Well,

Here's an update after walking with 26lb in it.

..have to say that on a 'happiness' scale of 0 -100 I'm at about 48. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

....I'm fighting hard to resist my developing opinion that it's just a glorified range bag.

I've had to play with it more that any pack I've ever owned or been issued to get it -almost- comfy.

Three main points:

1. The yoke (the area where the shoulder straps meet) is far too thick and pushes on your spine between your shoulder blades (about where most packs have a clear spine channel...this one does have a spine channel, but the yoke lies on top of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif).
eberlestock.jpg

2. The 'hip' belt is mis-named. It is a belly belt. It is positioned so high (even with the yoke set on the highest horizontal bar...3 settings higher than in the pic above) that, unless you're about 5'5", it cannot bear weight. I consider myself pretty experienced with rucksac use...and this hip belt is just for aesthetics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

3. Given the above points, I simply cannot understand how this pack has gained the plaudits (particularly for military use) that it claims. It has far too many fiddly little pockets......even one for sunglasses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif extra zips and unecessary extra bits of webbing (all of which add weight)...it doesn't strike me as being even slightly soldier proof. ...I think it'll manage a few days per year in Scotland; but there's no way it's robust enough for 6 months, let alone 12 months, continuous use....the cordura is just too thin (if the pack wasn't lined with nylon, the weight saved could be put to good use by using thicker cordura!)

...a great range bag? ...probably; but I didn't buy it for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If that preamble hasn't put you off forever/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif...here are my answers to some of the points posted:

[ QUOTE ]
Did you consider the acu colour?

[/ QUOTE ]
...for about 1.5 seconds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif not sure exactly what ACU was designed for, I think it was meant to be a 'go anywhere' cam......but I'm afraid I have to shout "the emperor has no clothes". I've only seen 2 fellows wearing it in UK, and I have to say (unlike temperate Marpat which struck me as excellent)ACU is really, really bright in temperate european conditions...but if, for reasons of mountain safety, (and orange isn't available) you want to stand out like a bright beige blob when all around is green, go for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

[ QUOTE ]
I see there is no separation between your back and the pack, so no air ventilation as in some of the classic european trkking packs whichc is a good feature in mild /hot climate.

[/ QUOTE ] ...correct, it's snug fitting. The materials are quite sweat absorbent (from the little bit I've done with it so far). Not a problem to me...just a matter of what you're used to I would think

[ QUOTE ]
how does balance feel?

[/ QUOTE ] The jury's out at the moment. The pack is narrow but deep. When fully loaded it sticks behind you like a fully loaded bergen...but in actuality it's just a daypack....rather like wearing your normal daypack 4-5" behind your back.....intuitively, this will not be good for stability...but I'll give more info when I've worn it for a few days in Scotland later in the year ...but see answer to following point..

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm not mistaken you can adjust the harness so that it will ride higher, if that's where you prefer the pack to sit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, yes you can ......but, I have to say, this is my biggest disappointment with the pack, I've adjusted the yoke as high as it will go, off the very top of the pack so that it's only hanging on by one horizontal adjustment bar..

...and still the 'hip' belt is a belly belt....there's just about no way to adjust it to bear weight on the hips (unless, of course one is shorter, but I'm just off 6' and feel I should be within 'tolerance')...this pack is not for heavy weights...shoulder straps only....with a comfy looking belt for show.

As I said earlier....I'm developing the opinion that this may be a super duper range bag.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

....I honestly can't see how it's living up to all the supposed SF plaudits.but I'm going to hold final judgement until I've tried it in the hills.

Note to self:

Remember that the cup is is always half full /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

....now, if I can just get the bloody thing to stop pressing between my shoulder blades /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I have the Just One model, I think.......Absolutely love it. It does look a little different than your and opens up to be a pack for meat. It is very comfortable with my Sendero in. I have done a couple of overnight wilderness hunts with it, very comfortable all day long. Just my opinion.

Nope, mines a gunslinger. You can see in my pic at the start of the post that the 'hip' belt is too high on the pack and therefore is sloping the wrong way from the pack for weight bearing....this is shown more clearly in this pic from Eberlestock's own website:

It should be 3-4" lower and sloping upwards:
quickdraw.jpg

..in terms of weight bearing, the belt is functionless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

...it's a paunch belt, not a hip belt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BD,

Guess the belt would work for me. I'm a short ***. That said I am not very keen on foam stuffed belts, they always stick up or out when you have the pack off and want it to lie flat.

Have you tried it sitting, kneeling and crawling?

It has my interest though with muzzle up carry - I take it there is a cover sheet for the muzzle (top).

If you get over for a shoot you can try one of the drag mats I sent you a pic of.

David.

Matt,
Did you consider Kifaru, either their military or hunting packs. I certainly like their stuff, very ergonomic and excellent rifle toting system. One of their packs probably just saved me a bit of abuse, I just had a saddle loosen and dump me down a pretty steep incline in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in SW Montana. As I lay assessing the aches and pains I looked up as the horse tipped over and slid down the same slope - quite a sight actually. He stopped a few feet above me, flat on his belly. I did not like that situation so I slid downslope to get behind a big tree. Just as I got there he took off again, this time stopping right were I had been. Elk hunting memories, but not great ones...

Brown Dog,
I studied these packs out a year ago for a wilderness area hunt I drew out for. I opted for the Just One pack because it is more versatile than the Gunslinger (a bit more expensive as well) it has a hip belt that rides where it is supposed to and is very ajustable so you can ajust the weight on your hips and shoulders. the only minor drawbacks are that the gun scabbard is off to the left side so it stresses your left hip slightly more than your right. and that the muzzle has to go down to fit.
I put more than 100 miles on one last year, and me and Goodgrouper carried an Elk out last weekend using the Just One pack,best pack I have ever owned *****
UB

David,

The muzzle cover in my 2nd pic is from an eagle scope/muzzle cover, not the pack.

Ian,
Sounds like an extreme sport /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...I guess the maxim for trees that 'if it isn't wider than your shoulders, it won't protect you' doesn't apply to horses? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...I considered kifaru, but didn't like the idea, from a balance perspective, of a heavy rifle hanging down one side of the pack....I think I may regret that decision /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UncleB,

Certainly sounds like the justone is OK! But I think the gunslinger may be for 5'7" and under /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bottom line is; I have to make this pack work in order not to have wasted $180.

To do so, the following will (very annoyingly for something I've paid money for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif) be necessary:

Make an unpadded belt with velcro patch to replace padded paunch belt.....this would thread through 2-3" lower than the paunch belt.

Make web loop to ensure attachment of yoke to highest horizontal bar is secure (right now, it's hanging on by a 1" velcro overlap)

Rather disappointing really.

Oh dear I am on hold with this now I'm a 6'2"er!

Bad comfort and not built to top specs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.