Surface rust on rem 700

marksman1941

This is a relatively new (probably last 8 years or so) Remington 700 that I recently picked up used. It shoots incredibly well. I took it hunting yesterday and it spent 20 minutes in the rain, and then sat in its case for about 5 hours afterwards before I got home. I have never seen so much surface rust so fast, or from such little exposure. Is this just an example of Remington metal quality? Or do we have some gnarly rain in my parts? My 60's era BSA majestic got soaked for 7 hours the same day and cased for the ride home and was clean as a whistle upon uncasing.

Attachments

• IMG_5117.jpeg
    IMG_5117.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 247
Isn't that remington steel impressive how fast that happens???
I've had quite a few of the newer ones do that rifles and shotguns.
I have a 700 that was bought new in 2009, and have never had an issue with this sort of thing. At least it's not just me who's experienced something like this, but still blows my mind how it's possible.

Now, even scrubbing the **** out of the action I can still see the rust outlines. Do I need to strip it with rust and blue remover just to keep it from continuing? Or should I just Rustoleum the thing and move on?

Those vintage remingtons were really bad about that. Had a guy come hunting with us with a brand new 870 from about that vintage. We were boat hunting the east side of kodiak Island, and had skiffed in to jump some ducks. Half way up the hill the wind switched on shore, so we headed down to the dingy. By time we got to the boat it had come up a bit sporty and it took a few hrs to get to a safe anchorage.

He pulled the shotgun out of the sleeve and it was absolutely orange. Didn't think that rust was capable of forming in a matter of hours like that, granted it was all surface but it absolutely bloomed orange from the salt spray.

It isn't isolated to remington. Parts of one of my "stainless" savage boat rifles rusts really bad.

This is a relatively new (probably last 8 years or so) Remington 700 that I recently picked up used. It shoots incredibly well. I took it hunting yesterday and it spent 20 minutes in the rain, and then sat in its case for about 5 hours afterwards before I got home. I have never seen so much surface rust so fast, or from such little exposure. Is this just an example of Remington metal quality? Or do we have some gnarly rain in my parts? My 60's era BSA majestic got soaked for 7 hours the same day and cased for the ride home and was clean as a whistle upon uncasing.
Isn't that Camouflage Cerakote on the Action?

It's not a Remington thing.
My buddy bought a beautiful browning bolt action last year and hunted in a fog and put back in a case for a week.
It came out with 100% rust coverage.

It's not a Remington thing.
My buddy bought a beautiful browning bolt action last year and hunted in a fog and put back in a case for a week.
It came out with 100% rust coverage.
I could see being wet and cased for a full week turning something orange. That's a long time to oxidize. the few hours this one took is what surprised me so much.

The process starts quickly when enclosed in high moisture.
In one week it had to be blasted and cerakoted. It probably began overnight.

In the early 70's and left my 410 outside overnight and was covered in surface rust the next morning.
My dad didn't think that was ok!!!😳😳😳

Last edited:
Brownell's Oxpho cold blue will convert that rust. Check it out. You'll probably have to get it out of the stock, pic rail off to really get to all of it.
Bead blasted surfaces like these hold water very well unfortunately.
I'll look into that. I was avoiding pulling the scope until season is over, but it's not worth letting that stuff penetrate any further

Not limited to Remington, but a relatively common issue with those rough finished rifles. Lots of good advice with bluing agents and steel wool. only thing to avoid would be oils containing teflon or silicone as they may hamper future coating adhesion. Good general purpose gun oil will help short term.