Rust on a Stainless Stalker A-Bolt

Moman

My son has a Browning Stainless Stalker and this gun always seem more prone to rusting. We have to constantly keep up on it or it will start to show some surface rusting. Does anyone have any experience with this or have you heard of this happening to others?

Yeah my brothers frikin does this too. The reason he bought this gun was for foul weather and it rusts when my medallion doesnt.. If anyone can explain this I am sure he would be really happy. Especially if there is a fix!

Stainless steels rust, but they are more resistant to rusting than chrome-moly barrels and actions. You still have to take care of them, though not quite as diligently as the non-stainless rifles. Unless your getting sea water on them. Then they need quite a bit of maintenance to prevent rusting just like non-stainless firearms. Also, some grades of stainless are more or less resistant to corrosion (rust) than others.

You could pay to have them coated with Cerakot or one of the other coatings that provide extreme resistance to corrosion. But you'll still have to take care of the bore in rust prone areas like when hunting saltwater shorelines or in boats on the ocean.

Our stainless rifles get as good of care as our blued. I have never had any trouble with Rem's or Win's, it's just this one Browning that seems to be different. It may be the grade of metal used.

4 series stainless has less chromium. It is more prone to rust. The giant stainless BBQ that is really cheap is 4 series stainless.....like mine.

I wouldn't hesitate to get the metal coated. IMO, gun metal is supposed to be BLACK, and all matching, regardless of material.

I've done several myself using Brownell's Gun-Kote(epoxy paint, baked). This finish is pretty easy, good & tough, but it's nothing like the professional wonder finishes available out there.

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about trying Flitz wax. I read some pretty good things about it and it may buy me a little time.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.