Removing Rust?

G

I never lend out my guns but a friend of mine convinced me to let him use my muzzleloader. I took him out shooting and showed him how to use the gun. After a few hours shooting we went back to my place and cleaned the gun. Told him how important it was to clean right after using it. Well, guess he didn't think I knew what I was talking about and didn't clean the gun. So now the bore is rusty. I have scrubbed it with all the cleaning stuff I have and can't get it clean. What should I do now?

With a bore you are in luck. You can use a bronze brush and just about any solvent normally

However I would use a tight patch with JB bore paste or ISSO to try and lightly polish the edge of the pits.

After that you will really need to closely monitor the cleaning regime and if it is pitted, then it will catch lead, plastic and powder much more rapidly.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.