Superformance

I have used it with Nosler, Sierra, Barnes and Remington bullets in 243, 6mm Rem, 30-06, 300 SAUM and 338 Win.. Like it in 6mm with 90 gr, AB and 225 Sierra, Nosler and Hornady in the 338. It was ok/nothing special in the 300 with 180 and 190 Nosler ab and ablr. Also worked well in the 06 with 168 tsx and 180 bt's. Almost forgot did ok with 225's in a 338-06, accuracy was good but speed was a little low.

I am wanting to try it in my .270 & my .308 only with Berger bullets and am trying to figure out a safe starting charge.

The 'superformance' powder that they market is too slow I'm thinking for 308, it's between 4350 and 7828 if I remember correctly

I have only tried it in 2 rifles so far but both of then have been screaming fast vs previous powders and low/no pressure signs. I have a good load worked up for 6.5 creed using superformance with 129 ABLR, 140 AB and 142 ABLR. Previously I was using RL16 with great results. Also using superformance in 30-06 with 180 AB and Speer HBSP. The superformance replaced H4831SC that was a pretty hot load but also screaming fast and just as accurate.

One key note for those not already very aware of this - the Hornady manual is extremely conservative. Of course you want to be safe and work up but, just know that their advertised "max" has been way lower than actual max that I've personally found or seen posted in other manuals that had this powder listed. I.e. if you reach Hornadys max and see your groups tighten as you go up, don't be afraid to keep going and watch for pressure. Not unique to Hornady but they seem to be a prime example of this vs the Speer manual for instance. My 6.5 is running (off the top of my head, I believe) 46 grains of superformance with Hornady brass. I want to say their published max is around 44.

One disappointment I should have looked at closer upfront however, this isn't listed under Hodgdon "Extreme" powders, which I initially thought it was. All loads were worked up in some pretty cold temps (20-30 degrees) so I may dial the loads back some this summer and work back up again...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.