Super Sniper Problems

Ramses II

I ordered and received my Super Sniper 10x scope from SWFA in February of this year. It has sat securely in my safe until Imounted it on my rifle last week. I mounted it w/ 30 mm Leupold rings and fastened the rings to Leupold factory recommendation. I shot the scope today 4/29. I had never noticed any problems before but, after about 50 rds. I noticed a black blemish on the left side of the scope view just above the horizontal line, and a small black scratch just below and right of the center axis. I thoroughly wiped the rear and front lenses with the scope cloth provided with the scope. No change. I repeated the process and still no change. I have no choice but to assume the blemish and scratch are internal. The optics were otherwise bright and accurate ( I shot some very accurate loads). However, I am concerned thes internal; flaws may lead to future problems. Could this be a sign of the rings being too tight? I was careful to make them snug but not too tight.

What y'all think?

Ramses II

I own a 10X and a 16X SS- the 16 has a piece of something at about 11 o'clock in the viewing field. I've never mounted the 16 to a rifle, and the dust or whatever it is appeared sometime after I purchased it.

I like the 10X, I imagine I'll put the 16 on something someday.

Unfortunately, internal junk is quite common in these scopes. They will be cleaned under warranty though. call SWFA for help.

Jerry

Folks,

Give Chris a call at SWFA and he'll let you know what you need to do to get it fixed.. Every scope manufactured that has a glass reticle runs the risk of having debris stick to the lenses with the reticle etched in it.

They are under warranty and turn around time to fix this is very quick.

Hope it helps,

I've sent swfa an e-mail, and I'll probably follow up with a call Monday mornin'. I've heard (just heard don't know if it's true) that Bushnell does the warranty work for the Super Sniper (as Busnell purchased Tasco-sure enough the address listed for warranty work on info that came with the SS matches the address for warranty work on Bushnell's web-site. The Bushnell site says that warranty work takes 3-4 weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif!!!!

I've just spent 3-4 weeks buyin and putting together all this stuff, it will really stink if I have to wait this long!

Ramses II

RamsesII,

Give Chris a call at SWFA on Monday 972 726-7348. I think there current turn-around time is about 10 days according to another shooter on another board. They quote worst case turn-around times on there web site.

Keep us posted on how it goes and have a great weekend.

I had the exact same problem with a 16x SS that I bought a while back. I sent it back for a refund. I won't go into detail on why I decided to go with the full refund instead of replacement, as I have already discussed it on here. However, SWFA was great to deal with and promptly made the refund. I ended up going with a Nikon Tactical.

I sent the scope to Bushnell Monday 5/2 for warranty repair. We'll see what happens.

Ramses II

Let me first say that I have not had good experiences with many retailers, gunsmiths and manufacturers in the firearms and related industries (or couldn't you tell by my initial sour attitude). I have often received products that do not perform as advertisied or products that have manufactured defects. Only to be followed by very poor customer service, and ridiculously long waiting times.

I sent my Super Sniper to Bushnell. Within a week I received a post card from them with an ID number for my work order, wihch is used to look online and see updates on what was happening with my specific scope. When something is shipped to you, UPS tracking #s are provided on this site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Two weeks to the day that I sent the scope I received a Brand New replacement! I mounted the scope yesterday, took it shooting today (50 rds.) no problems...perfect.

SWFA's policy is for ten days. Clearly, such great warranty work is covered by the manufacturer that there is no need for the retailer (SWFA) to provide any further coverage. In fact, I would be surprised if SWFA could have received my scope and sent a replacement any faster than the manufacturer (and SWFA is known for great service).

I was suprised by the excellent warranty and lightening quick service they provided. I would recommend the Super Sniper scope, should there be anything wrong with it, the factory will cover it and do it quick......this is also one of the aspects of the SS that make it a value IMHO.

Ramses II

Glad to see you got it all sorted out. SWFA is excellent like that, and I am always gushing over my SS scope.

Theres a Review I missed and enjoyed reading...

http://www.snipersparadise.com/newproducts/swfass2.htm

Ive been around Leupolds all my life, and while they are great, saving $1,000.00 by getting the Super Sniper allowed me to get many more things that I wanted/needed. I dont feel I short changed myself at all.

If I needed every ounce out of a scope, Id probably go with the Leupold Tacticals, but for what I do, the SS is king, hands down.

Have any of you had 10x and 16x's at the same time to compare? which do you prefer and why?

I have the 10X on my VLS, but am thinking about getting a 16x and putting it on the Sendero, or swapping scopes and putting the 10x on the Sendero and the 16x on the VLS

ahh that whats fun about this, the decision making /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

hmmm..maybe the 20x? lol

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You Americans never fail to amaize me with your satisfatction with cheap scopes. I quit using Leupold years ago because of bits and pieces coming loose in side. I've had the same happen with Doctor Opik too mind you.
There is no replacement for quality Optics, if the internal coating will come apart, what else will break over time?
Buy once Buy Right..
Pete

[ QUOTE ]
You Americans never fail to amaize me with your satisfatction with cheap scopes. I quit using Leupold years ago because of bits and pieces coming loose in side. I've had the same happen with Doctor Opik too mind you.
There is no replacement for quality Optics, if the internal coating will come apart, what else will break over time?
Buy once Buy Right..
Pete

[/ QUOTE ] Pete: It really all starts with our poor upbringing. We Americans like lots of toys. The idea of the one scope, many rifles with good rail system never really caught on here. Again that was because of price. Of course it's hard to demonstrate our one upmanship with only a few great tools when the next kid kills you with quantity. Hey I've been at this game over 40 years now and I'm just now learning that I can't shoot them all at once! This of course comes from the translation from our coinage "OUT OF THE MANY, SOME". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.