Super Fast Twist Barrels for Hammer Bullets

In your experience: do solids require a different twist than jacketed bullets?
Absolutely unequivocally - yes, much faster. It's not only about stability (which you nailed with length/density) but it's coming to light that terminal ballistics can be drastically different when the bullet has more angular momentum on impact, and least in shedding petal designs.

It's been brought up here once already, but the Q 3-twist 8.6 BLK has been a new experience for me this year. I'm planning on using the Makers 350gn expanding sub this year, it looks like a mechanical broadhead on steroids and I'm fully expecting to remove the heart and most of the lungs of a whitetail through the ribs with it. With my luck will still run 150 yards 🤣

I still am a big proponent of the Partition/ A-Frame design for cup-and core hunting bullets. I was never into trying to get violent expansion from target bullets, my theory was I wanted to punch all the way through and leave a large permanent would channel that gushed. Hammer and CE monos offer me that performance with the shank, and add the petals shearing off.

338s-scaled.jpg

338s-with-ruler-scaled.jpg

Source:

Last edited:
I did some initial load work up yesterday with the 338 Edge and the 175 HH's in a 9 twist tube, I'm at 3700fps with no sign of pressure at all 😉
Picture of the gun? Group data? Inquiring minds want to know...
Your numbers and other would indicate twist rate/stability and speed are on a predictable curve/line.
In some conditions speed is KING. Less wind call and less flight time.

Picture of the gun? Group data? Inquiring minds want to know...
Your numbers and other would indicate twist rate/stability and speed are on a predictable curve/line.
In some conditions speed is KING. Less wind call and less flight time.
71366175023__4474642F-92E7-45D8-802E-E61946A4F015.jpeg
IMG_6894.jpeg

H4350 93g-97g
Groups were as per usual for Hammers, sub Moa.
Shooting with no brake so it kicked a tad

I could be wrong, but he may have just been pressure testing and grabbing velocity at each charge of 93, 94, etc…
Perhaps... my minor point is that applying the speed over your working distances can work toward your favor by reduced vertical error at the target. Along with "speed" for a given time period gravity is also king until the aerodynamics of the flying round starts to raise its ugly head. While I will instantly argue SD to ELR or anything most likely beyond 800 (normal parameters) on most shorter ranges of 2-400 SD's barely show up. Our reticle works on this principle. Kill zones and time. All bullets pass thru time at the same rate of vertical drop until the aerodynamic function starts adding percentages of variation- hopefully consistent.

A "tad"... Terrible Angry Dinosaur. I would only watch...
My friend @ButterBean has acquired a few nicknames over the years. My grandson, and I are stealing a line from the Virginian; "Smile when you call him that stranger"! :mad:

English being what it is I suppose you could have been talking about the rifle!;)

For those naming rifles TAD could be a good one.🦖🦖

My friend @ButterBean has acquired a few nicknames over the years. My grandson, and I are stealing a line from the Virginian; "Smile when you call him that stranger"! :mad:

English being what it is I suppose you could have been talking about the rifle!;)

For those naming rifles TAD could be a good one.🦖🦖
One time I was sitting on the river in a Blown-V-Drive (modified tunnel hull) , parked, talking with other people when the Conservation Guys come tooling along. They anchor, get out onto the sand bar (about a foot deep) point at my boat and says "who owns that?". Not much I could say and I take claim. At which point he states "that boat looks loud" and proceeds to write me a ticket. Never even turned the key. Now mind this is an over the transom exhaust- with Aero mufflers... you could talk at normal tones at idle and minor cruise - WOT a bit different.
That gun just screams kicks like a "son of a gun" at those numbers- but I ain't no warden. So "no" not at the owner just the "TAD" fits the rifle- and he said it not me.

In your experience: do solids require a different twist than jacketed bullets?
Lower density= longer per weight... which would seem to indicate more twist requirement.
We have also seen conclusively: Barrel mfg A will stabilize bullet mfg 1 but not bullet mfg 2. Yet Barrel mfg B will stabilize Bullet mfg 2 but not stabilize Bullet mfg 1. One of the questions we ask is "what bullet" which leads to the barrel mfg recommendation.
That's right. If you want to shoot the heavy for caliber, higher BC bullets, solids will require more spin to stabilize due to their length. Lead is heavier than copper, so it takes a longer copper mono to get to the same weight as a jacketed lead bullet. Most of the solid mono manufacturers list a recommended barrel twist rate, stick with their advice or possibly even a little faster. Using a ballistic app, I'm plugging in all the data and looking for a minimum gyroscopic stability factor above 1.50, the higher the better for improved terminal performance, ideally closer to 2.0

Last edited: