Super Fast Twist Barrels for Hammer Bullets

K and p barrels in south dakota makes cut rifled barrels in any twist. And if you check he makes MOST elrx barrels for the top competitors.
🤫🤫🤫 Now it's going to take me even longer to get my barrels if you keep sending everyone there! 😂

Kidding. Ken is a great guy and runs a solid outfit. I've got six of his barrels in the office right now waiting to be chambered.

The faster I tried to push the bullet the more the tight twist pushed back
I remembered reading or hearing something about the benchrest guys using the slowest twist rate possible to stabilize the bullets they were shooting. Might have even been one of Erik Cortina's interviews.

I did step up to a 1:8 for my .338 Norma since I use monos for hunting. Curious to see what it does for the 300 OTM's.

I'm a bit confused here. What is the purpose of that much twist?
Originally to bring up subsonic bullets to the same RPM's as super sonic rounds in standard twist rates to increase stability. A side effect was the added RPMs had an increase in terminal performance of subsonic bullets. With greater wound churning with bullets like maker, Barnes and discreet ballistics bullets,

Kevin with Q used a 12.5" 1:3 barrel "Fix" in 8.6Blk to kill a Cape buffalo using a 210gr Barnes spinning 500k RPM

Originally to bring up subsonic bullets to the same RPM's as super sonic rounds in standard twist rates to increase stability. A side effect was the added RPMs had an increase in terminal performance of subsonic bullets. With greater wound churning with bullets like maker, Barnes and discreet ballistics bullets,

Kevin with Q used a 12.5" 1:3 barrel "Fix" in 8.6Blk to kill a Cape buffalo using a 210gr Barnes spinning 500k RPM
WOWZER!

I am not sure what to think about gain twist. We have done a few and haven't seen any problems. They make sense to me in that they "ease" the bullet into the twist rate. What doesn't make sense to me is as the twist gains it changes the angle of engraving on the bullet, increasing the amount of engraving contract area on the bullet. In my mind this should increase the engraving pressure and create more distortion to the bullet. The ones we have done are 1" of gain and we have been able to still hit velocity and accuracy expectations with Hammer Bullets.
We are running several platforms with 4+gains of twist. 6mm to .460, including consecutive barrel blanks with the only change being how large of a gain. The picture is a 300WM: shots 4,5,6 from a new barrel during break in. 200yd target. We came out of solids for a bit- but the Hammers look pretty worthy of trying them again.

Attachments

• 300WM target.jpg
    300WM target.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 300WM TRG.jpg
    300WM TRG.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 47
We are running several platforms with 4+gains of twist. 6mm to .460, including consecutive barrel blanks with the only change being how large of a gain. The picture is a 300WM: shots 4,5,6 from a new barrel during break in. 200yd target. We came out of solids for a bit- but the Hammers look pretty worthy of trying them again.
Got a bit more than just gain twist going there 😉🤘🏻

Let's see if we got this right... please chime in. Going from 12-8 (which we have operating). Just using simple linear values.

Using a .338cal for base line- an 8T and a 12T- a .75inch bullet contact area:
In this example the bullet will engrave by +.0105 as compared to the land width.
It will gain (+/-).0025" of width per 1" of gain over its 12inches.
If I extend that to 24inches it would be (+/-) .00125" of width per 1" of gain over the 24"
If I turn this into percentages a change of +/-17% occurs. Can that potentially translate into 17% less initial pressure? If a longer lead reduces pressure less initial twist should reduce pressure.
Anecdotal (new term I have heard describing our results) wise- our back to back comparisons have yielded more velocity on less powder- Anecdotal only and 3rd party.
A few years back at K2M John B (don't want to mis-spell a last name) a guy known for a carriage mounted 50cal- took third without a spotter. He was shooting a lighter bullet at a higher velocity than other competitors - a true outlier- with a slower twist rate comparatively speaking. Speed was used to stabilize his bullet as the bullet he was using required a book 9T (though actually 7.5T was required)- his velocity allowed him to shoot a 13T.
20230821_162037.jpg

For what it's worth, Applied Ballistics did a test years ago on twist rate and its effect on muzzle velocity. Here's an excerpt of their findings:

I read that previously, and wondered if it holds true across the spectrum of case capacities, and bullets.

My own thought is twist rate needs to be considered in light of end goals.

I haven't seen accuracy of hunting rifles impacted to the point of being unserviceable. BR competitors, and those chasing velocity for velocity sake, can have different needs.

For what it's worth, Applied Ballistics did a test years ago on twist rate and its effect on muzzle velocity. Here's an excerpt of their findings:

While this is good data the test is done with a 308win pushing 175s 2650fps from 8-12 twist barrels.
I suspect the results would be quite a bit different if he had tested a 26Nosler or some other hot rod cartridge with hammers or light for caliber cup and core bullets that produce almost twice that velocity in the upper 4000s.

The level of my desire for a 1 in 12/8" 300 rum has about reached a point that I can't live with.
And a 1 in 13/9" 338 rum