Super Fast Twist Barrels for Hammer Bullets

Gday
First off looking from the outside in & just take a breath & not trying to start the crap fight that happens here so my observation is potentially 2 fold & time will tell if it's a lapse or actually a progression forward
I'll explain & no need to answer as the bigger part is helping others imo while learning ourselves

Is it getting better over here 🤷‍♂️as the thread stated faster twists with hammer bullets & yet so many have entered with different bullets & the faster twists
Yet there has been no uproar from the hammer supporters on oh not to compare other brands no they just kept going on explaining what they've seen & compared to other situations they've had & the base has grown to a more in-depth analysis of what goes on which is great for the op & others not posting for fear of the backlash to them personally that happens in a lot of threads

So isn't this a better way to behave 🤔🤔
I personally think so & one that will get potentially a better understanding/outcome for the op as gives them a broader range of experiences to base their future decisions off

So well done people 👍

I hope the other side of the coin is shown to be the same as this one but time will tell on that

Jm2cw & I'll add a bit on twists from my journey if my typing skills quicken up a bit
Cheers

Gday
First off looking from the outside in & just take a breath & not trying to start the crap fight that happens here so my observation is potentially 2 fold & time will tell if it's a lapse or actually a progression forward
I'll explain & no need to answer as the bigger part is helping others imo while learning ourselves

Is it getting better over here 🤷‍♂️as the thread stated faster twists with hammer bullets & yet so many have entered with different bullets & the faster twists
Yet there has been no uproar from the hammer supporters on oh not to compare other brands no they just kept going on explaining what they've seen & compared to other situations they've had & the base has grown to a more in-depth analysis of what goes on which is great for the op & others not posting for fear of the backlash to them personally that happens in a lot of threads

So isn't this a better way to behave 🤔🤔
I personally think so & one that will get potentially a better understanding/outcome for the op as gives them a broader range of experiences to base their future decisions off

So well done people 👍

I hope the other side of the coin is shown to be the same as this one but time will tell on that

Jm2cw & I'll add a bit on twists from my journey if my typing skills quicken up a bit
Cheers
I agree. No reason we can't just have a discussion, even if there are certain things that may come up that we disagree on. Disagreements are normal in most discussions. As long as it stays civil, we may just benefit from it as it progresses. People can disagree and then learn something and come around, on either side of it. And I'm talking with any subject matter.

Yep. Finally a creed that will kill big game.

I kid I kid! Don't flame me.

The 22cm is actually on top of my list for the next center fire 22 cal I acquire.
I did some initial load work up yesterday with the 338 Edge and the 175 HH's in a 9 twist tube, I'm at 3700fps with no sign of pressure at all 😉

I've been running the 180 Accubonds 3550 for years with a 100 grains of RL-22.
You been snoopin through my reloading notes?! That was my load back when nosler made the 180 ballistic tip.

Workin off memory here, but I think I worked it up to 103 grains before I started gettin obvious pressure signs. Killed lotta deer n hogs with that load. All bang flops, up to 793 yards. Can still go back to the exact spot I made that shot. That was quite a few years ago.

Last edited:
I got lucky one day poking around at Southern Precision, and they had four .284 Bartleins in stock with the twist rate, length, and contour, that I was looking for. So, I took two off their hands.
I've got a build underway with them. Ordered in February, Terminus Zeus action with quick change barrel option, McMillan game warden LR stock, and a couple Bartlein fast twist barrels, one steel and one CF. Everything showed up a couple weeks ago, lead times seem to have stabilized at about 6 months (some of this was pushing closer to a year not too long ago).

I went with 8 twist in 300 PRC to stabilize big mono's. Previously had a 9 twist 300 PRC and it was somewhat limited with the heavy for caliber mono's, experienced bullet tumbling at 200 yards (keyholing in target) with a 199 grain mono.

My wildcat 22CM AI is an X-cal 1.6.5 TR. Just ran a 1-14TR Hammer Bullet through it at 5020 FPS. Dang bullet held together at over 550,000 RPM's.
Could you show a bore scope record along points in the barrel at "blank number of rounds"? I would be interested in seeing how much material is bonding to the bore. We have appraised barrels shooting a bit larger round at slower speeds- that have fully packed the lands to the point they were hard to identify. The throat was clean, the muzzle was clean but the center 12+inches was essentially a smooth bore. The clean ends I overall attribute to the operators cleaning methods. It just took 80 patches and many hours to clean the "smooth bore" out.
While not shooting anywhere near those speeds we have shot 256gr rounds at 3450 during a match. Approximately 50rounds. By the last shot the group had opened to 2moa. Cleaned it - back to 3/8moa. In hunting a good round down a fouled/prepped bore is not a concern. Degradation within your required boundaries is another thing/issue.
What have others seen for barrel conditions when comparing solids to standard jackets?
Don't mean to hijack this thread. Let me know if there is an issue... [email protected]

I've got a build underway with them. Ordered in February, Terminus Zeus action with quick change barrel option, McMillan game warden LR stock, and a couple Bartlein fast twist barrels, one steel and one CF. Everything showed up a couple weeks ago, lead times seem to have stabilized at about 6 months (some of this was pushing closer to a year not too long ago).

I went with 8 twist in 300 PRC to stabilize big mono's. Previously had a 9 twist 300 PRC and it was somewhat limited with the heavy for caliber mono's, experienced bullet tumbling at 200 yards (keyholing in target) with a 199 grain mono.
In your experience: do solids require a different twist than jacketed bullets?
Lower density= longer per weight... which would seem to indicate more twist requirement.
We have also seen conclusively: Barrel mfg A will stabilize bullet mfg 1 but not bullet mfg 2. Yet Barrel mfg B will stabilize Bullet mfg 2 but not stabilize Bullet mfg 1. One of the questions we ask is "what bullet" which leads to the barrel mfg recommendation.

Could you show a bore scope record along points in the barrel at "blank number of rounds"? I would be interested in seeing how much material is bonding to the bore. We have appraised barrels shooting a bit larger round at slower speeds- that have fully packed the lands to the point they were hard to identify. The throat was clean, the muzzle was clean but the center 12+inches was essentially a smooth bore. The clean ends I overall attribute to the operators cleaning methods. It just took 80 patches and many hours to clean the "smooth bore" out.
While not shooting anywhere near those speeds we have shot 256gr rounds at 3450 during a match. Approximately 50rounds. By the last shot the group had opened to 2moa. Cleaned it - back to 3/8moa. In hunting a good round down a fouled/prepped bore is not a concern. Degradation within your required boundaries is another thing/issue.
What have others seen for barrel conditions when comparing solids to standard jackets?
Don't mean to hijack this thread. Let me know if there is an issue... [email protected]
Will do. Apparently the 6.5 CM is only supposed to have a 2500 shot barrel life. I haven't shot it in over 2 years. Knowing I have over 4600 rounds down the pipe. I scoped it. To my surprise I was amazed how little the throat has eroded and the rifling looks phenomenal.

Will do. Apparently the 6.5 CM is only supposed to have a 2500 shot barrel life. I haven't shot it in over 2 years. Knowing I have over 4600 rounds down the pipe. I scoped it. To my surprise I was amazed how little the throat has eroded and the rifling looks phenomenal.
Cut barrel or button?