Super Bowl Sniper...

The Surgeon

Inside the most exclusive suite at the Super Bowl: Sniper's nest where police watched big game crowd through high-powered rifles
By MICHAEL ZENNIE
Last updated at 9:10 AM on 9th February 2012

Comments (40)
Photos have surfaced of an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police officer aiming a high-powered rifle before the Super Bowl from high atop a sniper's perch in the stadium.

The images show that sharpshooters were prepared to use deadly force at the the big game Sunday, where 70,000 fans filled Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The pictures were posted on Facebook by U.S. Tactical Supply, an Oregon company that supplied the weapon's tripod. However, the firm later removed them, saying they sparked too much controversy from commenters who were outraged by the show of heavy weaponry.
The company said the photos were taken before the stadium was open and that the rifle was not loaded at the time. The rifle was not in shooting position during the game, the company added.

Spotters used binoculars and not their rifle scopes to watch the crowd.

More...
Police officer seen on dashcam video brutally kicking motorist suffering from diabetic shock in $158,000 lawsuit
Still safe to fly? Photo captures armed Air Marshal sleeping during flight as investigation exposes 'sexism and bigotry' inside TSA's 'boys' club'
After the photos when viral, U.S. Tactical Supply released new pictures of a half-dozen other rifles set up on rooftops surrounding the stadium.

Placing sharpshooters at the Super Bowl is not a new security procedure in the post-September 11 world of heightened police presence.

At last year's Super Bowl, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told CNN he built his new Cowboys Stadium with several sniper perches installed.

Ashton Kutcher posted a video in 2009 of two sharpshooters outside Raymond James Stadium for the Super Bowl in Tampa, Florida.
The Indianapolis police officer seen in the photos was not identified and his face was blurred out before the images were posted online.

The rifle int he picture is a bolt-action Remington 700 equipped with a custom-made stock from XLR Industries.

The sharpshooter in the sniper's nest was one of thousands of police officers and federal agents who descended on Indianapolis for the Super Bowl, which was viewed on TV by more than 111 million people.

article-0-11A55653000005DC-769_634x352.jpg

Sniper's nest: This Indianapolis police officer had two rifles at the ready from a vantage point high above the Super Bowl
article-2098592-11A5564B000005DC-807_634x463.jpg

Controversy: The photos were posted on Facebook, but U.S. Tactical Supply, which sells the tripod used in the photo
article-2098592-11A5564F000005DC-788_634x461.jpg

Special purpose: The rifle shown here is a highly-customized Remington 700 bolt-action rifle with a purpose-built tactical stock from XLR Industries
article-2098592-11A55657000005DC-606_634x461.jpg

Prepared: Other Super Bowls have also deployed sharp shooters in and around the stadium, presumably to quickly stop security threats
article-2098592-119AE089000005DC-857_634x380.jpg

Packed house: Nearly 70,000 fans filled into Lucas Oil Stadium Sunday for the big game
article-2098592-11A5563B000005DC-387_634x372.jpg

More snipers: New photos posted by U.S. Tactical Supply show sharpshooters were positioned outside the stadium, as well
article-2098592-11A55643000005DC-452_634x736.jpg

Gear: The shooting supply company posted the photos of advertise the use of a tactical shooting tripod it sells
article-2098592-11A55647000005DC-975_634x437.jpg

Deadly accurate: Police snipers are trained to quickly and accurately shoot people who are believed to be threats

Reference:Photos of sniper's nest at Super Bowl show police watched the big game with high-powered rifles | Mail Online

What caliber rifle would that be? .338? Would be a large gun, I'm from Australia and that's unreal we don't even have that kinda security when the queen visits but then again if they did it would probley be tight lipped. Have those snipers ever shot someone at a event like that, i kow there probley highly trained but a larger caliber like a .338 would travel through the target and through the person or persons behind the target, I know the needs of the many out way the needs of the few but that's still messed up if a innocent person was killed in my opinion and the law suites that would follow would be in the high millions if not tens of millions. I know terrorism is a touch subject in the states and all over the world so I hope no ones offended by my comments.

i kow there probley highly trained but a larger caliber like a .338 would travel through the target and through the person or persons behind the target, I know the needs of the many out way the needs of the few but that's still messed up if a innocent person was killed in my opinion and the law suites that would follow would be in the high millions if not tens of millions. I know terrorism is a touch subject in the states and all over the world so I hope no ones offended by my comments.

It pretty much depends upon which they were rooting for.

Those snipers can't be to happy about that picture being published. Why not just put their positions on the JumboTron while they're at it?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.