Sunny & Hot CO Elk Hunt 2008

philny1

Hi All

Well I made it.

Left NY 3:00 AM on the 14th. Spent the nite in Lincoln NK, 2nd nite out found us in Grand Junction CO. We could of went on in to Naturita and camp but opted for a few cold ones and a good steak. Next morning we drove into camp around 11:00 AM, giving us time to lay back abit before the Sat opener.

Welcome to sunny CO, hot and dry describes the weather. About the same as the 07 opener.
I was using a 338 RUM with the new 250gr Accubond in front of 91 gr RL-25. Same rifle I had in AK & CO last fall. Easy gun to shoot. Only this year it wears a NightForce 5.5-22x50 in NK rings and 20 moa mount--bought from Joel Russo at a great price. Wasn't to sold on the scope at first but the more I use it, I'm thinking its the way to go. Also have a new Leica rangefinder that left a bit to be desired on those bright sunny days. But it's compact and would range the animal if not the terrain--a trade off I can live with.

I have a good hide, between a bedding area and feeding grounds down below with water. Was confident I'd see some action. Openind morning had a cow break a saddle leading to my spot just after daylite. She kept looking back over her shoulder but she was alone. Considering the conditions I decided to take the first legal bull sighted. During the morning I spotted eight more cows and a calf. Around 1:00 I saw a small bull, nothing legal, but I got set up on him thinking he may be traveling with another bull as they often do. Sure enough through a break in the oak brush there was a 4x5, I took the shot at 453 yds and filled my bull tag. Turned out to be a good decision as he was the only legal bull I sighted on the trip.
DSC00176.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

I get to do the shooting, plus dress out and then its not to long before these boys show up to do the work. Taking the bull out in one piece was not a problem. At the road they loaded it in the back of a Chevy Suburban, which was something to see. At my age, I couldn't hunt these big animals without them. Actually depending on how they lay its about all I can do to dress em out. I made the shot from the high point over Ray (blue sweat shirt). That's my spot. killed quite a few elk from there.

DSC00179.jpg

Had a cow tag. Hunted hard, saw a few but couldn't get a shot. Last morning shortly after daylite saw a fair mule deer, made the the shot at 633 yds.gun)

DSC00194.jpg

Also saw two bears, one a beautiful chocolate brown color. And me without a bear tag. Heavy acorn crop, there was bear dung everywhere. Quite a few bear sightings, no one in camp had a bear tag. Third morning, had one feed on the gut pile left from my bull at 453 yds, standing broadside til I got tired of watching him. He was a good bear, a shooter.

Four of us took one bull, two cows and two mule deer. Not our greatest year but considering the conditions , not to bad.

Phil

Good to here you had some luck. What zone were you in? We leave in two days for Zone 30 just north west of Grand Junction. I have been watching the weather and have not been overy happy. A couple buddies just got back from the same area and said there was a really nice mule deer running around that nobody shot yet so we will be looking for him as well as trying to fill a couple of elk tags. They said he was in the mid 30 inch wide size.

Four of us took one bull, two cows and two mule deer. Not our greatest year but considering the conditions , not to bad.

There's something to be said for modesty.....by the sounds of it "you" had a great year.

Congratulations.

Good to here you had some luck. What zone were you in? We leave in two days for Zone 30 just north west of Grand Junction. I have been watching the weather and have not been overy happy. A couple buddies just got back from the same area and said there was a really nice mule deer running around that nobody shot yet so we will be looking for him as well as trying to fill a couple of elk tags. They said he was in the mid 30 inch wide size.

We hunt unit 70. We hit about 6" of snow SW of Denver on RT 70 last Thurs the 23rd. Grand Junction was bone dry when we passed through the same day, but cooler--mid teens. It was in the mid 20s Wed morning for awhile. Making it the camps best day, with three elk and two deer taken.
Good luck chasing that big mulie.
Phil

Congratulations my friend..

Good post, nice pictures.. enjoyed reading it.

Start training now, because next year we're back in Alaska..

Great story and pics. Congrats are in order.
I just rolled through Grand Junction this weekend myself and the weather was still hot and dry. I was shooting in a br match and the ground was so dry that the bullet impacts in the burm filled up the whole range and nobody could see anything! Must not have rained for days out there with that kind of dust.

Phil,
Glad to see you made and enjoyed the trip this year. My partner and I leave thursday. Maybe I'll check on the bear tags this year. We see one or two every year. Some real brutes too. Nice mulie!

On a nasty note, the rifle I bought from you last year was stolen saturday. It was a thumbhole remy. I don't suppose you have another. Send me a pm if you do.

Yeah, we just pulled into Grand Junction about 5 minutes ago and it is still dry. It is not the best but the temperature is dropping. Suppose to rain monday. Thanks for the info.
SES50

We hunt unit 70. We hit about 6" of snow SW of Denver on RT 70 last Thurs the 23rd. Grand Junction was bone dry when we passed through the same day, but cooler--mid teens. It was in the mid 20s Wed morning for awhile. Making it the camps best day, with three elk and two deer taken.
Good luck chasing that big mulie.
Phil

Phil,
Glad to see you made and enjoyed the trip this year. My partner and I leave thursday. Maybe I'll check on the bear tags this year. We see one or two every year. Some real brutes too. Nice mulie!

On a nasty note, the rifle I bought from you last year was stolen saturday. It was a thumbhole remy. I don't suppose you have another. Send me a pm if you do.

Thanks Lorenzo.
Looking forward to hear about your hunt.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't have another in stock at the moment, will keep an eye out for one.
Recovered a 250gr AB from my mulie shot at 633yds. Don't really feel we need another bullet pic on the forum, so I'll simply report it retained 217grs and expanded to .577 after a front quartering shot. At 453 yds the same bullet completly penetrated my bull, lenght wise.
Also recovered a 225gr Barnes TTSX from a cow shot at about 90 yds. Shot from a 340 Wby. Didn't get to weigh it, but looks just like the one in the Barnes catalog.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.