2008 Oregon Elk hunting

remingtonman_25_06

Just gettin back from Oregon's 2nd season elk hunt. This is spike only unless you draw a big bull tag, which I did not. In all we had 7 spikes tags and my aunt had a big bull tag. We filled all 8 tags by Friday.

Opening day, my uncle and another kid both shot spikes at about 150-200 yards with there 300 Win mags.

The following monday afternoon, we had 4 more bulls on the ground. 3 spikes and my aunt shot her a nice 320" 5x6. 3 of the 4 elk that night were shot 750+ yards. My spike was lasered at 915 yards with the swaro and I got the 338 EDGE all set up. I set the leupold 6.5-20x50 LR scope to 850 yards for the slight down hill shot. There was little to no wind. I was laying prone with harris bi-pod. The elk were all standing broadside on the opposite side of the canyon. At the sound of the shot, the 300g SMK was on its way at 2840fps. About a second later you could hear the solid "whack" of the bullet hitting and the elk just dropped like a ton of bricks. I was pretty stoked to say the least!! Thats my farthest confirmed LR big game kill! My dad, uncle, and another kid were all spotting for me. My uncle and the other kid were pretty amazed, but my dad and myself know what the 338 EDGE is capable of. I wont say I made a perfect shot, but it certainly killed him very quickly. Upon arriving at the spike, I noticed he had been neck shot. THe 300g SMK expanded very nicely, about the size of a half dollar for an exit hole.

My aunt shot her 5x6 at 750 yards with a 300 RUM and 180g gamekings. SHe missed her 1st shot, hit him the 2nd and a 3rd to bring him down for good.

So with 4 elk down in one afternoon, we spent the next 2 days packing elk out of the canyon.

Back to hunting wednesday where Rick shot one at about 200 yards with 300 win mag and 180g NBT's.

Friday, Gordy shot his spike on top about 100 yards with a 300 Win mag and 180g NBT's.

Nice to see everyone got there spike this year. Plenty of meat going in everybody's freezer!!

I am trying to get pics from this kids camera. I didn't pack mine with me. Sorry!!

Great story and some good shooting! If you processed those elk yourself it was a chore. I hunted elk a couple of years back and our hunting party of 11 killed 9 elk. It took 3 full days to get them all processed and packaged up.

Congrats Remi, that's a good shot! Looking forward to the pics. That's an awful lot of work getting that number of elk out of the field!

Remi not to hijack your thread but I just got back as well. I lasered mine at 758 yards. It was across a canyon with about a five mile wind left to right. Once the bull stopped in a clearing on the top of the ridge I let one go. I am shooting my 270wsm with an IOR 4-14X50, and 150g winchester XP3 that I took apart and loaded with my own load. I used my nimrod pack for a rock solid rest. One shot put him down right were he was standing.
102_1123.jpg

Our hunt did not go as well as remi's. We had 3 tags and only I filled mine. We didnt see too many elk untill the second to last day.

Way to go, rem man!
I too made my longest measured kill this year, although a comparatively measley 589 yds. Mine was a little elk and we spent more like two hours rather than two days getting that one out. Don't envy you there!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.