Suggestions on rings for BIG BORE???

critter

Hello everyone. I am in need of suggestions for weaver style ring mounts that can take super heavy recoil. I am shooting and reloading for the S&W .460. I have mannaged to destroy 2 sets of leopold quick release mounts with this revolver. I have tried two, and then three rings on the scope. The recoil still won the day!!! Any ideas? Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

well from what I have seen once you finaly get a set of rings that mate to the bases , your base screws are gonna give.
I welded up a set for a buddies 45-70 contender they were a duel dove tail setup , the bases were re drilled and counter sunk for bigger screws and the rings and bases were tig welded top and bottom

geez!! That does not sound like a whole lot of fun. I may have to resort to that though. Thank you! Anyone else have a suggestion? -critter

[ QUOTE ]
Hello everyone. I am in need of suggestions for weaver style ring mounts that can take super heavy recoil. I am shooting and reloading for the S&W .460. I have mannaged to destroy 2 sets of leopold quick release mounts with this revolver. I have tried two, and then three rings on the scope. The recoil still won the day!!! Any ideas? Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are numerous reports of Leupold QRW rings failing on 50 BMGs. For weaver/picatinny mounts - I use Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Rings exclusively. They are very economical and exceptionally stout. Not sure if they will work for your hand cannon. How about posting a pic of the gun (I'd get one but I'm a kick sissy).

tacticalring4.gif

It is exciting that is for sure. With the factory muzzlebreak it feels like a real hot .44 mag. however the overpressure can be felt in every inch of your skull! I am as technology intelligent as a rock. So my kids might have to show me how to do the pics. In the meantime, it is a S&W 10.5 inch performance center hunter version. Thanks for the info on the QRM's I will look into the Burris rings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rimfire, those look very stout! I think I want to try them. Have you had any experience useing the adaptors that take them from 30mm to 1 Inch tube diameter?

Big Bore---

I was not able to find the burris rings in 1 Inch diameter. Am I just blind? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rimfire---

Sir, Picked up the Badger Max-50 Rings & the 30mm to 1inch adapters. HOLY MAKREL!!!
These are some heavy duty SOB'S! My .460SW is noticibly heaier now. I have observed absolutly no more shifting or shearing. They are worth every penny. Picked em up from US Tactical Supply Inc. for around $231 (including tax and s&h)
Thanks for the suggestion! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.