Proper bench technique for big bore rifles?

Jim Oliver

Hey guys,

Please give me some suggestions as to the best technique to use when shooting test groups with rifles which kick a little.

Free recoil doesn't seem like a good idea and I am having trouble getting a motionless trigger break when dry firing. I think my groups are suffering as a result.

Any help???

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,
By big bore and kick a little, I take it you mean 338 Win and above.

For my bench shooting which is very much the same a prone w/bipod here is what I do, not in order of importance. This works for me:

a) Ensure the rifle is naturally on target with fudging nothing but the rear bag. That is, with heavy or light cheek pressure the rifle just lays there with the cross hairs on the point of aim.

b) Very light and consistent cheek weld.

c) Firmly pull the rifle STRAIGHT back into the shoulder and lean into it with out moving the rifle. If you lean differently shots may tend to string vertically.

d) I've found that a straight pistol grip with palm swell to be much preferable to what is on the sporter/hunting stocks.

f) Touch the trigger with the center of the first section of the trigger finger. Even with the back of the finger nail. (I'll probably catch flak on this.)

g) Set the fore arm on the pedestal/sand bag right where you would put you hand if shooting off hand.

h) One hand on the trigger/pistol grip pulling straight back. The other hand on the rear bag to squeeze for elevation adjustments. Let the front of the rifle do what it will. However, be careful to not let it jump off of the pedestal rest. That's not a good thing.

Roy,
Thanks for the info--all makes sense.

Having been "brushed" a couple of times by the scope, I have been using a finger or two across the top of the bbl. in front of the objective lens to keep the rifle from recoiling up too high.

As a result, I have not been able to get a perfect sight picture without some pressure from the shooting hand. With the predictable results, I might add.

I will try what you suggest.

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
Roy,

What happened to "BE EASY WHEN YOUR DANCING WITH THE BIG GIRL". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

NYLES,

That recommendation was for shooting the 338 RUM w/300 SMKs.

Jim mentioned a 'bit of recoil' the 338 RUM w/brake is just barely a bit. The AM w/brake and 195s may be a 1/4 bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.