STW loads and Mag Primers

shimoda

Does anyone have some good starting loads using 168 and180 Bergers with IMR7828 or H1000? If I get hooked on the bergers how big a job is a Wyatt box?

Also in my panic to stock up on primers I bought a bunch of magnum primers. Will these be ok for the STW and will I have to change powder charges when using them? Are there any considerations for use in hot weather? Should I use them?

I have always been a basic reloader but since meeting you guys and catching your illness I realize that I have to step up my precision , quality and knowledge on the reloading bench.

I have some good luck with 77 grains Retumbo, 162 gr Amax, Federal Primers, Remington Brass. Remember that you don't have much barrel life in that STW so don't waste 20% of it (200 rounds) looking for a load. Find one that works well for the distances you want and then practice. My actual current load is 85 gr. retumbo with the 162 amax at around 3500-3600 fps. But that is pretty well over published max so work up to the load you want.

I have 168 and 180 Bergers on hand as well as 7828 and H1000 which is why I'm asking. I also have these magnum primers[Federal] that should be put to use.
I'm currently shooting 160 Accubonds, WLR primers and 7828 with great reults. .4-.6 moa consistantly out to 300 yards, .8 to 600 yards. I have never shot paper beyond 600 but did kill a few rocks out to 950 yards while hunting in Wyoming. My total load development consisted of loading and shooting 15 rounds. I give the credit to the builder, the barrel, and the information I've learned here.

I've been seduced by the Berger's BC and thought I'd try them.
I'm signed up for Shawn Carlocks course in June and thought I would load the bergers for it.

I am shooting the 180 gr Bergers with 78gr of H1000 and a federal 215 primer running 3110 fps out of a 29" barrel

My initial testing (not extensive yet) with the 168 bergers, Rl 25 with Fed 215m produced excellent groups (.4) @100 travelling 3170 out of a Sako 75. I'm very pleased so far but i also had great results w/ 7828 and Barnes 140's at max so it will be the next powder to try with the Bergers. Hope this helps.
Bucky

Given the capacity of the STW, the Fed 215s are right in line. If you have a load developed with another primer, then yes, you will want to step it down a bit and work back up as pressures allow. You should be doing this whenever you change a component, so it's just a good habit to get into.

I have data with both the powders you cited here, and would be more than happy to pass these tables on to you. Just drop me a line at [email protected] and I;ll get those off to you.

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets

I have to agree with Bucky...My load is 74gr.'s of Reloader 25 with a Federal 215M primer and Berger 168gr VLD's In my STW. The muzzle velocity with this load in my gun is 3123fps. It groups great and I didn't hunt for a load much beyond this. My gun has a heavy varmint Hart barrel with a Harrel's brake.

Hope this helps
Larry Isenhour

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.