Straight Shooter Supply 338 Lapua Mark V

Autorotate

This build started early this year as two soldiers deployed in Afghanistan scheming about potential Alaska hunt plans when they returned from their deployment:)

Since moving to Alaska, I've come to appreciate a lighter rifle, and bringing in the range a smidgen from some of my hunting experiences in the L48 prior to the move. This rifle reflects those new realities for me.

The intent was to have a 10.5 lb rifle w/a NXS that was very simliar in "foot print" to a factory Accumark, but built like Weatherby should've built it (according to me at least:) IMHO...Shawn built the exact rig that was in my head when this build started. It's pretty cool when it works out like that.

SPECS
Weight-10 lbs 12 ozs as depicted with optics and level
Smith-Straight Shooter Supply, North Bend OR
Stock maker- Bell Carlson part number 6654 (This is the "old school" Weatherby TRR stock, slightly wider forend/higher comb than the Accumark stock)
Action-9 lug Weatherby Mark V
Bottom Metal-Weatherby Custom Shop "Drop Box Kit" +1 capacity PN# CBA2038
Barrel-Brux SS 9.5 twist #5 contour fluted 26" finish sourced from Greg @ Southern Precision Rifles
Muzzle Brake-Muscle Brake .885" 3 port from Centershot
Base/Rings-Near Alphamount with 10 MOA cant
Level-Holland
Trigger-Timney
Reamer-Straight Shooter Supply 338 Lapua Match (300 gr NABs at 3.775" are at the lands)
Optic-Euro Optic supplied NXS 3.5-15x50 NPR-1 HS MOA turrets

I'm about to head the range to get this rifle and a new F-Class rig up and going. Shawn test fired, and provided load data for the 300 NABs, so it was ready to shoot out of the box. Looks like the load that worked for him out of the few he shot was 94 grains of Retumbo, F215s, 300 gr NABs, 2775 fps avg. I'll be sure to post up a target representative of it's precision potential once I have one I've shot.

I hope the specs, photos, and vids motivate someone to get started on thier build.

I can't say enough about the build experience with Straight Shooter Supply.

And if I broke any protocol posting this up, mods, square me away. I don't have the same opportunity I used to have to frequent the forum. My intent here is to just relay/share when I find something that works for me, and I want to see others succeed. Straight Shooter Supply is one of those things IMHO.

Enough on my gabbin'...here's the stuff we all really read these threads for:

i-xzHLQ3M-X2.jpg

i-MD5tBsf-X2.jpg

i-5vGJWvh-X2.jpg

i-2dpQrnn-X2.jpg

i-tHfZKLF-X2.jpg

i-2Vc7nVq-X2.jpg

i-hCq2xnv-X2.jpg

i-bBhkW2M-X2.jpg

Beware!-Internet rifles are always heavier in person..LOL..hence the scale photo.

If you click on the pic below, it should start a vid demonstrating the 3+1 mag box, and Straight Shooter Supply's work on getting a Lapua to repeat perfectly in a Mark V with 300 grainers at a COAL of 3.775

Last edited:
I'm working on building that exact rifle exept mine is going to have a 28" abs carbon barrel. Your rifle is awesome. I like the colors

Usually I don't like the looks of a gun built using a MKV action as they look bulky and heavy but I do like the looks of your rifle. Nice build. If it shoots like it looks it should be a great gun.

HF18-Thank you very much! I started this LRH deal way way back in 2005 :D LOL...It's very rewarding to be in a position to have some experience that allows little 'ol me, to share with others on how to "shorten the chase" to someone's LRH goals. It's basically my entire motivation to post these/other builds I own now, with the detail I try and provide.

I look forward to seeing your build thread. That sounds like a bitchin' build.

BillR-Thank you! Just my humble opinion...but if you'd need to have "unmanaged weight" in a build, it's best to put into the action, and then the barrel. Another somewhat controversial opinion of mine...is that you'll likely end up needing 1.2 lbs for every 100 yds you intend on relying on the platform for to execute 1 MOA cold bore (no sighters/first shot of the day...i.e. LRH type shots) hits. I.E.-1000 yd, 12" steel plate, ideal conditions, cold bore (with the right shooter, ammo, rifle) will probably end up being 12 lbs. I.E. #2: 1500 yd, 16" steel plate, ideal conditions, that's a 18lb rig.

Keep in mind a couple things on that rule of thumb of mine.

1. That includes the optic, bipod, ACI, level and etc.
2. This rule of thumb of mine will be challenged by many on the internet.....but very very few in person...as they stare at a 1 MOA sized target through thier scope and respectable bet is put in place to keep all honest :rolleyes:
3. Is there some plus/minus in there for the specific shooter experience....you bet. lightbulb Just a rule to get folks started.

Surgeon-Suggest you email Brady/Shawn ([email protected]) over at Straight Shooter Supply to get it from the horses mouth, but I believe it to be a Titanium color. The final finish/color can be tweaked a bit with the application/curing process as it's been explained to me.

Very nice build and a great weight for a LR 338. Heavy enough for stabilty and light enough to carry.

M70RUM-Thank you, and Richard makes the best optic mounting solutions out there IMHO. Great products, great people.

TB-Thank you, and I agree, this weight is a great compromise for a rifle you have to walk with. The recoil is....refreshing... if you will. It does put two bubbles in the Holland level :D But the brake does a good job of keeping the rifle pointed on target.

A short story on this rifle's evil twin....it's depicted below...The owner is a good friend of mine who's not a member on here yet, but that'll likely change LOL. He'd never shot at distance before. Shawn had loaded up some 300 NABs for him using Lapua brass, F215s, and 94 gr of Retumbo. The first five shots averaged 2785 fps. First shot was a boresight, as we'd just mounted his scope. Made a course adjustment. He then shot a 3 round group that was right under 1 MOA. Made a fine adjustment on the scope. His 4th, and 5th shots were overlapping on the target, and right on the zero, so I advised we were done at a 100 yds. His 6th shot out of the rifle was at 912. His 8th shot was a hit on the 1.2 MOA rock at 912. The rifle needed 2 MOA more than the 100 yd zero and .720 G1 BC called for. Wind call was on :D His 12th shot was on a honest 1 MOA rock @ 1060. The adjusted BC was spot on at that distance now. Should have a number to share regarding a field proven BC on the 300 NAB before too long.

His son had just as good success at distance as well.

I realize we expect more than sub 1 MOA groups with our rifles, but those were his first 4 shots out of a rifle for him, that quite frankly is a bit brisk to shoot for a new LR shooter. Additionally those results are "real", not internet fairy tales. He'd got his mind right by shot 5 & 6, and printed two nice shots on top of each other, so we went to distance.

The rifles have headspace within .001 as measured by a .420 bushing on a Hornady OAL/Headspace guage tool, fired nk diameters are the same, and distance to the lands on both rifles is the same.....so the ammo interchanges between rifles.

His is about 10 fps faster on the chrono, but that could be lighting, more rounds will tell.

OK so I know that's not extreme ELR, it's not a 1/8 MOA group at a 1000 yds. Just a couple of fellas that had a great build experience with some hunting weight 338 builds.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Sorry no pics from last night/afternoon, but here's some that Brady/Shawn sent from Oregon, just prior to shipping them last week.

i-CSHnZ33.jpg

i-JmdvzvK.jpg

i-dKZDd87.jpg

i-dbr6JcV.jpg

i-c3wVvxF.jpg

i-zhnp252.jpg

i-gxtQppd.jpg

i-VhwtKCf.jpg

Very nice looking rifle Autorotate! Please do post the results of your shooting, I am sure we would all like to know how well she shoots.

CPT A-Will do. Give me a week to get a load going for this gun. What are you thinking....pretty sure Charley doesn't really like working on Weatherby's gun)

I think you may be right! I sold all my Wby's years ago after I had my first custom build and have not looked back. There is nothing like a good custom quality rifle.

In fact, I have one of Travis' 7 WSM's that is a tact driver, it's on his site. I will be taking that rifle to Wym next month on an antelope hunt. I will post the results.

Your rifles sure are nice looking, I've always liked that Wby look and that stock has a nice feel. I had that particular stock on one of my Accumarks in 30-378. I liked it much better then the standard Accumark stock.

@ 1704 and 1048 yds today... .372 G7 was "1 MOA rock" spot on for elevation from a zero height 200 yd zero, and a MV of 2785 fps.

29.11 Station pressure, 64 deg F, 70% humidity. 94 gr Retumbo, F215GMs, 3.810 COAL, .0015 NK tension = 3/4 MOA @ 200 yds.

AB said the 1704 yd shot was right at 1100 fps...it seemed to make the transition well.

That number worked for both rifles, at both distances.

Not shabby if you ask me for a "hunting" / "two hole" bullet. :cool:

Still partial to my "one hole" Bergers though :D

I tried to take some video, but if there's one gripe I have with my Vortex spotter, it's eye relief...and so far, I've been a big no-go on digiscoping with it. I'll figure something out before long.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.