Straight Shooter Supply 338 Lapua Mark V

Never been much of a Weatherby fan, you may have changed my mind. Very nice rifle, and the pictures are very persuasive. Thanks.

I have an old Mark V in 300 Wby, rebarrelled after a horse accident many years ago in the high country of the Madison Range in MT packing out an elk. This thread wants to make me re-barrel fit or a 338 Edge or Lapua. Great Thread and information. Show us more when you can.:)gun):)

300 gr OTM, 88 grains of H1000, F215M, COAL of 3.705, 5th firing, annealed, SS media tumbled, loaded round concentricity held to .0015 or less. Charges trickled to a single kernal on a balance beam. ES of 14 fps for 5 shots.

Tried everything I knew to get the 300 Accubonds to go...but my lot of 'em and this rifle didn't like each other. Only thought to check 'em after the first 50 flew like frisbees.

First three loads with the OTMs...winner winner chicken dinner.

200 yds. Bipod. Rear bean bag.
i-SnWn62H-M.jpg

100 yds. Bipod. Rear bean bag. 6 shots. Two shooters, three rounds each. One shooter has never shot off a bipod/rear bag, this is his initial group after some brief instruction. The other shooter shoots like a rookie, but has many rounds downrange at distance now (me LOL) No break between shots or shooters. Probably 90 seconds to shoot all six rounds.
i-LV7x5JS-M.jpg

With the 10 MOA cant of the Near Base, I run out of Elevation knob with this load around a mile with South Central Alaska enviros.

So all in all...pretty darn happy with the way this rifle turned out. The 15-16 lb LMAI and Excalibur are still easier to shoot at 1000+ for first round hits...but this rifle makes a great compromise for it's weight and overal length.

Straight Shooter Supply has my nod as a very capable Mark V precision rifle smith.

I hope to have a ELR worthy digiscoping solution figured out shortly...have tried all kinds of different combos...and am close to a budget minded/smart phone easy solution for the Vortex HD with the 30x MOA eyepiece. It's nothing mind blowing, but the MOA reticle to size/spot targets and corrections, and the use of a smartphone to capture video...it's what I've been after. So hopefully in the next month or so, I can get some sub 1 MOA rock video at 1300-1700yds up in this thread with this rifle.

Hey Tim, Glad to see you found a load it likes. That is nice accuracy from a bipod for what I thought was supposed to be a light weight close range bear rig and only a 15 power scope. It was a pleasure working for you.
Shawn

Nice Groups and great Build. Ive been following this thread, as I have an old Mark V synthetic in 300 WBY Im thinking of using for a 338 build next year. This was a great thread to see and follow. And a source for me to look at for my build also. Does SSS have a Website? Thanks for sharing all the info.

Andy

Hey Tim, Glad to see you found a load it likes. That is nice accuracy from a bipod for what I thought was supposed to be a light weight close range bear rig and only a 15 power scope. It was a pleasure working for you.
Shawn

Shawn

The rifle turned out just like it was in my head before the build started. And it is my raft/river gun...fits in a Kolpin ATV scabbard...repeats with 300 gainers...its just what I was after.

I'm persnickity...the Accubonds I was seeing 1 to 3/4 Moa at 200 yds...it obviously like the Bergers OTMs better. Best I can tell...they ought to work on bears too:)

The fact I cracked a 3/4 Moa rock in the rain 3 out of 5 shots yesterday at 1033 yds.....off a mat, bipod, and rear bean bag....is just a bonus.

Thanks again, Shawn.

CPT A-

2703 to 2689 fps over 5 shots.

Intitially I was bummed it wasn't faster...but it's shooting good, so I'm happy. It's done two groups better than the one I posted, but the paper target got soaked even after drying out in the morning that I didn't have any proof :D. So I posted the best group I did with the load on the next day. I'm done fooling with it for now.

In using 2700 fps/300 OTM in the BR2...shooting next to my buds rifle shooting a 2775 fps 300 NAB...I think out to 1300 we we're real close on elevation, and 'cause the conditions were excellent, windage was **** near the same. I was expecting a bigger difference despite having looked at it before.

Fellas-If you've got an 9 lug Weatherby in the safe that isn't being shot...and it's not a Lasermark, or other exotic model...and doesn't have sentimental value to you in it's original config....I say start a build on it! gun)

Nice Groups and great Build. Ive been following this thread, as I have an old Mark V synthetic in 300 WBY Im thinking of using for a 338 build next year. This was a great thread to see and follow. And a source for me to look at for my build also. Does SSS have a Website? Thanks for sharing all the info.

Andy

Andy

I've done exactly what your thinking...a few times now :D

I don't think SSS isn't a sponsor, so a link wouldn't be proper.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have on the above build(s) via PM.

Sounds like Manners will be releasing a new stock available with a Mark V inlet soon as well....I'm biased, but I think you'll be real happy with your Mark V build after it's all said and done. Do you have smith picked out yet? After you make up your mind on exactly what you want from/out of the rifle, that's probably the next most important decision you can make for your build.

Good luck. gun)

Autorotate, with groups like that I would have stopped as well!! I'll be looking for a Wby action or a donor rifle soon, so I can build a Wby 338-378. This sport sure is addicting!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.