Storing powder

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Lived in a very dry climate in the past, never a concern for storing powder/primers in the garage.

Now living in the DFW area, humidity quite a bit higher. Garage is insulated, however no real intent to keep it climate controlled, although we do have a wall mounted unit to keep temps under about 95 during the summer.

Do I need to keep my powder/primary inside the house now?

Lived in a very dry climate in the past, never a concern for storing powder/primers in the garage.

Now living in the DFW area, humidity quite a bit higher. Garage is insulated, however no real intent to keep it climate controlled, although we do have a wall mounted unit to keep temps under about 95 during the summer.

Do I need to keep my powder/primary inside the house now?
Yes

This brings up a question of mine I have some powder that has been in the metal IMR can and stroed in the house for over 20 years is it still good. Life and work got in the way of my hunting and shooting for a good while but now I can go back to it. Just wondering if it is worth trying to use it.

This brings up a question of mine I have some powder that has been in the metal IMR can and stroed in the house for over 20 years is it still good. Life and work got in the way of my hunting and shooting for a good while but now I can go back to it. Just wondering if it is worth trying to use it.
It's most likely ok , work up some low end loads and verify vel with a chrono that will tell the story on how far off one way or the other.

Yes, and Silica packs will help with moisturize/humidity. I store mine in a closet with silica packs.

If you have a fireproof safe, be careful, just because its fireproof, it doesnt mean its also moisture proof. Fireproof safes absorb moisture, so you will need to air it out every 2 to 4 weeks, and keep baking soda and/or silica packs in there as well.

Couple years ago Costco ran a special on some renewable desiccant gizmos. Couple LBs of desiccant, a decent color gauge to estimate how much water they have, and then you plug them into a 120v plug and the heat drives off the humidity, so they are re-usable.

I keep all powder in a large old metal locker, not airtight, but slows air entry. Packs last a couple months and I rotate.

Most desiccant packs can be re-used. These are just easy. Regular one's make you put then in the wife's oven for a couple hours. OK if wife is OK with it. Probably takes more watts in a hot environment, though if you are in a cool wet area, the oven heat is not really "wasted" either. I really hate running the oven in the Summer. Just seems stupid with the AC then having to pump the **** heat back out..... I digress..

I have a relatively wet basement in KC area, during the summer at least. I ran a dehumidifier as well, as all my reloading stuff and some guns are down there. Heated up the basement, but kept the humidity down. During the fall/winter/early spring its nice and dry so long as the heat is on.

For folks that are serious, I went long so to speak. Installed a Mini-split AC unit into my basement. Now my basement is cold AND dry all Summer. Costs less to run than the dehumidifier. BUT, up front costs of the mini-split where higher than the dehumidifier.

So I basically protect my powder stash with 2 lines of defense. I have powder from 1982 that I use for breaking in barrels. Its still fine, but a little dirty (was from the beginning) and I have too little of it to mess with long term load development.
One other thing: NEVER ANY LIGHT EXPOSURE to cans, bottles or whatever you gots.