Storing primers and powder

etisll40

Can I store my primers and powders for long? I've been using them up, but I'm gonna start buying double so I don't run out when I really need it. How do you store your stuff?

Mine is all in my reloading room, which is an actual room in my house, so it stays around 65-67 degrees year round, with no moisture. I've been told they can last pretty much indefinitely if stored inside a house with no moisture and consistant temperature under 85 degrees.

However, I don't know how true that is....Just what I was told. I've seen ammo from Vietnam that's been stored and shot recently, so I wouldn't see why you they wouldn't last...

I keep all my powder and primers in the old metal 50 cal. ammo cans. I have some powder that I have been using that is 15 yrs old, AA 2520 that I bought from Natchezz that was only $8.00 a LB in 8 lb containers and I have 3 of those. Also have Fed Mag primers that old that work great also.
Just my $.02
Tarey
I wish I would of bought more powder back then.lightbulb

I keep mine in an old refrigerator {not running}. Primers in the freezer section and powder in the other section. Air tight so no moisture and my loading room stays between 60 and 70 * year round. Will last a loooooooog time.

Fridge is a great idea in concept, but, no way to handle humidity and static elecricity. ......and.....you are storing in a somewhat hardened container. Vent hole will do wonders.

Both of mine are kept in a cool, dark wooden area in my reloading room.

No worries on holding onto powder for a long time other than keeping the temp. rather controlled. Do check on fire code restrictions as you accumulate though. You may end up building a powder magazine or separating your powder storage to stay compliant.

Modern primers and powders should last a lifetime if stored somewhere out of the sunlight and cool. Everything is sealed today so no worry about degradation.

Speaking of everything sealed, I have had this question for a while now. I have bought and been given a bunch of brass in the past, that has had green corrosion all over the brass and primers. What causes this green corrosion? Poor storage? Also, I have witnessed this corrosoin on brass that has had unfired primers in it, and it ruined the new primers, so when I got it I had to deprime good brass, to clean it up...

Green brass is caused by only one thing....moisture. It's 'rusting' in this case oxidizing. Thats also what causes your fingerprints on a case to cause the case to discolor, the moisture in your fingers plus the oil/acid in your skin.

I keep my cases in zip lock plastic bags with a silica gel dessicant pack in each one.

People want their expensive copper gutters to turn green, they like that patina. Not so with cases. Cartridge brass is copper and zinc alloyed together.

I load them and unlike many posters, do a last tumble in a bowl tumbler to clean off the sizing lubricant and then I box them wearing cotton gloves...... and no, I've never had one ignite in the tumbler.

Green brass is caused by only one thing....moisture. It's 'rusting' in this case oxidizing. Thats also what causes your fingerprints on a case to cause the case to discolor, the moisture in your fingers plus the oil/acid in your skin.

I keep my cases in zip lock plastic bags with a silica gel dessicant pack in each one.

People want their expensive copper gutters to turn green, they like that patina. Not so with cases. Cartridge brass is copper and zinc alloyed together.

I load them and unlike many posters, do a last tumble in a bowl tumbler to clean off the sizing lubricant and then I box them wearing cotton gloves...... and no, I've never had one ignite in the tumbler.
LOL that was my next question....:D I just don't feel safe doing that. Maybe it's me being slightly still new to reloading, as opposed to yall that have been doing it for years and years.

Yeah, I pull mine out of the tumbler, clean debris from the flashholes, then put them in Zip-Lok bags, and then store them in sealing surplus .50 BMG ammo cans. Seems to work great for me. I use my sonic cleaner to get all the corrosion off, then I tumble the corroded ones for 5+ hours. to get them shiny again. It's worked good so far. I've turned some pretty nasty looking brass into reuseable stuff.

Years ago, propellants came in cardboard containers so shelf life was short btw.
I've shot h4831 from war surp stocks "bottled" in the 70's out of Hodgdon paperboard and it was just fine; that was ten years+ ago though.... Now THAT was some good powder; it makes today's h4831 look rather poor in comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts