Does powder store better in a cartridge or in the bottle?

tailbon3

I have two pounds of CFE 223 that I probably will not get to using until spring. Do powders generally preserve better in the bottle or in loaded cartridges? Or is there not much of a difference? I guess also related, what is a general 'best used by' date for reloaded ammo? One year? Three years?

The worst thing for powder storage, either in the original bottle or loaded ammunition, is large swings in ambient temperature. It has been proven that a steady temp, even if a little warm, is best for powder storage. I keep my powder in an old cooler box, and my ammo is in lined ammo boxes in my house that stay pretty cool and consistent all year round. I have large temp swings where I live and my powder or ammo has never deteriorated being stored this way.

Cheers.
gun)

That is a great question...

I have rounds, even shotgun ammo that is over 30 years old that has shot great. So if stored in a dry place I don't think it matters... At least that has been my experience.

I was given some CCI primers that were 35 years old. I loaded and shot them without issue. Now, if I was going on a once in a lifetime hunt or had a high prioity target I would not use 30 year old anything.

If the brass is completely clean and bullet/primer is sealed I have shot some over 75 years.
A 1 pound or 8 pound can if kept in a cool place without large temp variations and is almost full will last as long.
More temp change and warm temps and a lot of air over the top of the powder would both degrade it some. (same applies to gas in a partial can or open can. The aeromatic hydro carbons evaporate rather quickly when exposed to air)
I think it was Hodgen when they first started they bought surplus cannon powder wrapped in silk bags. I think it was from WW I. They packaged it in 1 lb. cans. I think it was their 4831 if I remember.

Recent Posts