Stock Painting Help

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by ofdscooby, Feb 20, 2013.

1. ofdscooby

ofdscooby Well-Known Member

I would like to do some different colored webbing on my stock. I have a Stockade stock that I switched from a right to left hand. I'm going with a duracoat flat black for the base coat but I wanted to throw some webbing over it for texture. I was thinking of just lowering down the pressure on my airbrush till it just comes out as a weak stream but I'm worried that the dura coat will just flatten out and I wont get that texture. Can anyone shed some light on the subject and maybe suggest some products?

2. bubbadad

bubbadad Active Member

I have seen it done using air hose and a drizzle of paint . but in the old days we would just turn down air pressure on our paint guns(not airbrush) should work, try it on test area first to see effects

3. sj-pratt

sj-pratt Official LRH Sponsor

Ofdscooby,

I’ve tried a lot of different approaches to achieve texture and webbing, and with some types of paint it just won’t work very well. I have never sprayed Duracoat, I use Cerecoat and KG Gunkote and I would think they are similar in solids or body you might say and to make a web with them would be a challenge. If you turn your air down and volume up it will give you specks like Manners uses for texture. You will have a hard time, as you already realized making the specks pronounced enough to make much of a difference. I use acrylic urethanes and have techniques that make the patterns and textures repeatable. Here’s a picture of what you could do with urethanes.

Good Luck with your project.

Attached Files:

4. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Google Krylon Webbing Spray. Comes in black, silver and gold and white. JohnnyK.

5. Gary Kaney

Gary Kaney Well-Known Member

Here's the web and Speckle i did on my first attempt with Dura Coat.

Attached Files:

6. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

+1 on the Krylon Webbing paint---works very well for a product in a can. You can get it in multiple places including Amazon and I think TCP global.

Randy