Weatherby Vanguard Painting Help

For great bedding info, see this thread:

Bedding Project - Sniper's Hide Forums

Ignore the photos on the first page or so - somehow Photobucket lost his links.

Somehow, Photobucket lost his mind! No pics are applicable to the process described. Pics there are all cheesey, from the 70's til now. Too bad, because he went to a lot of trouble to write it, yet it is much less useful without pics to show what he's doing.

Somehow, Photobucket lost his mind! No pics are applicable to the process described. Pics there are all cheesey, from the 70's til now. Too bad, because he went to a lot of trouble to write it, yet it is much less useful without pics to show what he's doing.

Get past the first page to find pics from others, and the wordage is still useful.
There is still a LOT of useful info in those 14 pages.

In addition, the fiberglass or similar stocks made by Bell & Carlson, McMillan, HS, etc are an entirely different stock than the plastic stocks sold on entry level rifles of any brand name. Having said that the new stock on the Vanguard S2 is far better than the previous version and may actually be worth a try before thinking that it has to be swapped out immediately.

Thanks Doc. After picking up a S2 several times and comparing it with others, I also thought that they seemed a bit stiffer / better made than other synth stocks. In fact the stock is what's kept me away from the standard Howa 1500...which is what the S2 is at its core. Savage synths and others also felt a little too plain, light or cheap for my likes.

Regarding painting , it sounds like its worth the $90 one of the other pattern or Realtree aftermarket vendors charges.

But now I'm back in the throws of deciding between stainless steel or blue! Aesthetics aside, I would like to know if the SS they use will last longer / is more durable than a blued moly/chrome barrel.

I find with my stainless rifles that they're easier to clean. That is usually enough to sway me towards one for a field rifle given the option, though I have to admit I own plenty of blued rifles too.

I'd put the $90 into upgrading from the blued to the stainless and see how you like the rifle. For $90 for a camo pattern (+ 2 way shipping at $15 each) you might find that you're better off just getting a B&C or a laminated stock eventually, though I'm not sure you will need to.

I actually ended up pillar bedding a Boyd's pepper laminate stock with the Score High kit, and I put the Millett scope on it. It came out pretty much perfect, but I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet, unfortunately.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts