Stock M70 frustrations

Colt45guy

Howdy all. My wife gave me a Win 70 Classic about 8 yrs ago. I didn't shoot it much because the scope mount holes were drilled off center, and none of my optics had enough windage for shots further than 100 yds or so. (I probably only put about 100 rds thru it in all this time.) After y'all helped me figure out the mount alignment problem, I came to realize that this rifle is scattering shots in about 5" at 100 yds. I've tried Black Hills, Federal and Rem ammo, (all factory, 125-175gr) and seem to be getting the same results no matter what I try. I double checked my scope mounts, stock-to-receiver screws and put a known good Nightforce NXS on it with same results. Bore looks good, no imperfections I can see, crown looks good. The only tinkering I've done on it was to clean up the trigger a hair. (breaks like glass at exactly 2.6 lbs) About the only thing I can think of now is that either my barrel is loose, or I'm flinching. (I seem to have flinch under control using any of my other rifles, but I'm running out of ideas) I'm going to try having my wife dummy load for me today to see if I'm the problem, but in the meantime, if y'all have any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks!

Ron

back from the range...it's me, all me. My wife dummy loaded for me, and I jumped like cow on her first trip to the inseminator. Oh well, at least I won't be throwing any more money at it looking for a fix! I didn't get any replies (post was only up an hour) but the info from similar posts really helped. Many thanks to everyone!

Yep, that's exactly why I thought it was equipment failure or something loose...no freakin' way I could be jumping THAT MUCH. I don't claim to be an expert at much of anything, but I shoot pretty well with my AR-10, AR-15 and my '06. I concentrated on follow thru, from a solid rest and it put 6 rds into a spot I can cover with a quarter at 100 yds. Believe me, I sure didn't want to admit it...I feel like **** sissy, but someone may be able to learn from my mistakes. (I forget who says it here, but "seeing the fire" has made a believer outta me!)

Well, I sure hope it's a M70 700 Nitro Express! I guess we are gonna have to agree to disagree here because you are not gonna convince me that you move that gun that far.

I'll give you my bench gun with the brake off. Shoot 210gr'ers at 3100+fps in a 27" barrel and show me how you move that far. No deal. This gun has knocked my muffs off! And I do sometimes flinch but I NEVER have groups that display my movement like that. When I see I moved it MIGHT shoot out 1" at 400. It's also ususally the first shot of the day. Never during a string.

Good luck fixing the scope mounts by sitting still. I'm rootin for ya!

Colt45Guy,
Hopefully flinching was your problem. It happens to the best of us. A fellow gave me a M70 (black synthetic stock) in .30-06 one time. I tried to develop loads for it and never could get it to shoot better than 1.5". I tried 150/165/180 bullets with various powders/primers, nada. This rifle was practically new with a Leupold VariX-III 3.5-10x40 on it. I gave it back to the guy! It kicked as bad as any .300WinMag I've ever owned.
Has your stock been bedded? JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.