stiller tac 300 in mcmillan carbon game scout, issues.

It appears you're getting a look at what gunsmiths see every day. Not everything just 'falls together' like many seem to think. Mc stocks are usually pretty good, but I never order a stock (or any other component) from any maker expecting what I get to be completely 'trouble free'. It is called "gunsmithing".

The only other thing I can think of is the inletting being off left or right in relationship to the screws/pillars. McM has told me they are done on a CNC so it's not likely but it is possible if it wasn't set up right.

Is the action clearanced to the pillars on the sides? Ideally it should only touch the pillars prior to bedding.

i cant see the pillars, they seem to be buried in the laminate of the stock

take a look at richard franklins stree free pillar bedding. technical articles on 6mm benchrest and you can get a good idea of setting the barreled action in the stock exactly as you want it before applying epoxy. article is in left column 5 up from the bottom. hope this helps.

thank you

It appears you're getting a look at what gunsmiths see every day. Not everything just 'falls together' like many seem to think. Mc stocks are usually pretty good, but I never order a stock (or any other component) from any maker expecting what I get to be completely 'trouble free'. It is called "gunsmithing".

i agree, but close to 700 bucks for a stock, id hope it would give me less issues then this.

i will have to hold the stock true, then bed while trying to keep the action straight.

The only other thing I can think of is the inletting being off left or right in relationship to the screws/pillars. McM has told me they are done on a CNC so it's not likely but it is possible if it wasn't set up right.

Is the action clearanced to the pillars on the sides? Ideally it should only touch the pillars prior to bedding.

what im thinking is the inlet for the bottom metal is not square with the action holes, so the bottom metal is pulling it out of rotation.

like has said before this is gunmithing and part of rifle builds. i guess i wanted to make sure i wasnt crazy

well i bedded it up and everything is square now. going to clean everything nice then test her out this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_5221.jpg
    IMG_5221.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5222.jpg
    IMG_5222.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 46
Like with any bedding job make sure the screws thread in freely all the way until they become tight. You do not want any binding in the pillar or bottom metal. If the inlet was canted (very possible) and you squared the action, bind could be an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.