stiller tac 300 in mcmillan carbon game scout, issues.

revturbo9967

im finishing up my first true build and im running into some issues.

this is a 28 nolser on a stiller tac 300 action. machine work done by long rifles inc.

i bough a mcmillan carbon game scout that was inlet ready for the stiller and hawkins bottom metal. i went with a wyatt extended box so i had to machine the action. so far so good.

i fit everything together yesterday and the action is canted in the stock, a good 2-3 degrees. there is mega slop in the action inlet, but when everything is torqued down, it keeps rotating the action down a little making the scope base out of square with the stock.

mcmillan claims their stocks dont need to be bedded, but to fix this issue, i would have to alter the inlet with bedding to square everything out.

should i go back to mcmillan with this stock or am i over thinking this and i should just bed to square it.?

Attachments

• IMG_5166.jpg
    IMG_5166.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 124
Why would you spend that much money on a really nice long range rig and then not bed it?
I would bed it and not worry about it.
Very nice looking rifle.

i know i should bed it and i was going to bed the recoil lug. i guess my question is, is bedding the entire action the way to fix my issue at hand?

How is it rotated? You might check to make sure the action screws are perpendicular to the top of the rail. That is assuming the action is rotating down the bolt/barrel center line. If it's rotating it when you torque it down then the screw holes are off somewhere or the recoil lug is hitting in the recess. The stock should have pillars in it already so it should torque down straight if nothing is binding and is in fact straight.

im going to check this tonight. im assuming because this is an aftermarket action everything should be straight. but i cant assume anything.

there is a ton of room at the recoil lug so i dont think its hitting there.

Not everyone has a perfect track record producing parts unless it's a small quantity of parts. Once you make enough parts you will eventually have bad ones make it out. It could also be a bad rail if your using it for a visual inspection.

The only other thing I can think of is the inletting being off left or right in relationship to the screws/pillars. McM has told me they are done on a CNC so it's not likely but it is possible if it wasn't set up right.

Is the action clearanced to the pillars on the sides? Ideally it should only touch the pillars prior to bedding.

take a look at richard franklins stree free pillar bedding. technical articles on 6mm benchrest and you can get a good idea of setting the barreled action in the stock exactly as you want it before applying epoxy. article is in left column 5 up from the bottom. hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.