Stevens "Model 200", Input please....

41mag

Stevens \"Model 200\", Input please....

WEll I have seen posted here several times in the past on how good the Savages are as well as the Stevens. Personally I have never owned one but might if this is a decent deal.

Local add has them listed at $259 and some change. This would be fore some future donor project. They have them listed in the following calibers,.243, 7/08, 270, and 30/06.

Kirby if you read this, would this work for a basis for one of your new shorter calibers? IF so I am guessing that I would need the long action over the short correct?

Anyway, if you could shed some light on these I sure would appreciate it. I really have no other use for another rifle at this time, ubt for the price, I might be inclined to pick one up for something later on.

Re: Stevens \"Model 200\", Input please....

Heres what I replied with to the same Q a little while back.

"The gun is fully capable of 600yrd hunting if the shooter is. We have one in 308win and using Black Hills 175gr Match it averages just over one MOA at 600yds from a reletivly new (yet good) LR shooter. That gun with the new Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x32 is about as inexpensive as you can get for medium range work. The gun is a Savage 10 series all the way without the accu-trigger. Any part that fits the Savages fits the Stevens."

They are just like the Savage series rifles in that with good ammo you can expect consistant sub MOA performance. The 243 and 308 version seem to be really shooting well at MOA or less with factory match ammo.

Thanks Charles, I did try to use the search as I remember the Savages being discussed a while back. I was overcome with some sort of bug for the past two days so I really didn't have much time to sit "here" and read through all of the topics.

I am feeling much better today and might swing by there this evening and see what they got on hand. Who knows what might follow me home. LOL

Bed them properly, free float that barrel, tune or replace that trigger, make up some loads and smile at the performance. The action also makes a wonderful base action to build some very accurate rifles.

Can't beat that value... I have 4 and counting.

Jerry

The NRA riflman magazine just review one in '06. It averaged .75" with factory match grade ammo.....this was five consecutive 5 shot groups......WOW----I've seen them test some expensive rifles that wouldn't do this. Their reports "usually" don't have anywhere near this good of accuracy but this gun did it!!

Mike, your good Bro. I just felt like being lazy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Do what Jerry says and you will be very happy.

RE: Following up on Kraky1 's comment...
NRA Rifleman tested it in .30-'06 Springfield.

Best ammo used (5-shot groups): Black Hills Gold 165-gr. BT (Nosler Ballistic Tip)

Avg. shot group: 0.75"

A comment in this "dope bag" review said the trigger could have been a little lighter (which would make the Stevens 200 more accurate).

Stopped by the gunshop the other night to get some powder. He had a couple on the rack. Here are some impressions:::

Price on the rack was $279--I've seen the distributor to dealer price and it's $229. Not a problem for me--guy has to pay his bills too.

Gun felt quite light but balanced real nice.
Trigger pull was heavy and a little creepy.
Recoil pad--not much of one there....would hate to shoot this thing in a 300 win mag.
Action was smoother than I expected. Has a blind magazine with plastic follower.
Lots of room in the forarm channel--barrel didn't touch either side but was definately close on one side.

I'd love to buy one and play with it to see if I could get a "wallet target" (you know the ones you show off in the bar that you carry with your wallet)!
BUT...I'm not familiar with the savage family but would probably think it would be worth the $$$ to get the accu trigger and a real recoil pad......or maybe do a comp to the remington sps--that gun seemed pretty sweet for the price and had a real nice pad. (sound like a sissy don't I).....I guess the caliber I'd buy would be the 300 win mag and a 6.5-7# gun w/poor pad scares me.

do you think one of these Stevens 200 actions could be used to build a 338rum or 338/300ultra? anyone know the thread size of the barrel?

The biggest caliber they make is 300 win mag so you'd probably be looking at alot of work. You'd be better off stepping up to the regular savage and might as well get one in 300 rum with the accutrigger. You might even consider one with the adjustable muzzle break??

The stevens action is the same as a savage. If you get a long action you make it a .223 or a 338 laupa improved. Savages are the easy to work on and aftermarket accessories are avalible at reasonible prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.