Hard Rifle Case (at price point) input please

To "longaction" and others as well:

Where do you get new foam from? Do Plano or Pelican or whoever sell foam?
Is JoAnn's foam as good a quality foam as Pelican foam? ;)???

and...

please explain about cutting out shape of rifle?
does each side of the case have two (2) layers of foam?
and you cut out the shape of the rifle out of the top layer, and then the rifle rests on the lower layer?

Never done this, just trying to picture.

Thanks

O.P.

JimD Iam with Tn 243 ,the air glide is the way to go for us benchrest shooters that don't want any contact with optics .There is nothing but air around the gun and scope ,know foam to mess with and they are very responsible. In Canada about $75.00 so I'm sure they will be much cheaper in the USA .

+1 on the SKB single or double hard cases.

I've tested both on international hunts. When I went on my first caribou hunt, I thought the case would come out on the nice vertical carousel where the skis and golf clubs come out, but no, it came bouncing out along with the luggage! Plenty of protection, no issues with latches or hinges and offered at a pretty good price.

RTIC Coolers sells Roto molded cases a bit less than others and you might get a discount code for signing up for there emails.

Harbor Freight has a blk case copied from the Pelican 1750.
On sale it is $99.00
For what your looking for it is not going to be beat and it comes with the pluck foam.

Harbor Freight has a blk case copied from the Pelican 1750.
On sale it is $99.00
For what your looking for it is not going to be beat and it comes with the pluck foam.

Thanks Novalondon, but...
what a horrible web site, busy, ugly, how would anyone find ANYthing there,
specifically I can't find your Pelican 1750 knockoff.

The only rifle case I see at all is an Apache 9800 or whatever for $150.
Do you have a Harbor Freight SKU or link or anything?

Thanks,

James

Thanks Novalondon, but...
what a horrible web site, busy, ugly, how would anyone find ANYthing there,
specifically I can't find your Pelican 1750 knockoff.

The only rifle case I see at all is an Apache 9800 or whatever for $150.
Do you have a Harbor Freight SKU or link or anything?

Thanks,

James

I was looking at the Harbor Freight 9800 as well. $119 with coupon in this weeks ad. Haven't seen it in person, but seems to get good reviews. I have a single rifle case from cabelas that was around the same price and I took it to Wyoming, held up quite well.

I was looking at the Harbor Freight 9800 as well. $119 with coupon in this weeks ad. Haven't seen it in person, but seems to get good reviews. I have a single rifle case from cabelas that was around the same price and I took it to Wyoming, held up quite well.

OP here.

I've been gone for a couple of days.
But have been spending a lot of time tracking down ALL the RECOMMENDATIONS y'all threw out. Thanks.

Having crunched and researched a lot of data... I HAVE THREE QUESTIONS:

1- Whatever case(s) I buy, I'm going to be going after one with the cut out/customizable middle layer of foam, not the egg crate foam kind.
AND I know that am going to want multiple "middle" pieces cut out for various uses (one gun, two guns, barreled actions to ship, etc.).
Carolina Custom Foam has exact pre-cut replacement pieces for a certain number of Plano and Pelican cases.
Is it worth just narrowing down my selection and getting one of those cases to where you can just get the precut foam.
I'm wondering if it might be worth it if cutting this foam is tedious and the results are... so-so.
You'd still have to cut out the outline of what the foam was going to "hold", but at least you wouldn't have to do the cutting to make it fit the case.
OR... is this foam easy to cut well? In which case maybe just get whatever case you want, and then just get generic sheets of the the Appalachian Tough Foam and cut it to size yourself.

Never seen this foam. Don't know what it's like. Don't know how it cuts. What the best tools and techniques are.
So I just though I'd ask the question.

2- OR... what's the deal with this Kaizen Foam ? ? ? ? ? for your "middle layer" for cutting the outline of your rifle, etc. to sit down in?
Or, for that matter, do some of y'all like Kaizen for all 3 layers?
Kaizen vs. Appalachian Tough?

3- I guess this sort of piggy-backs on Q#2.
I have a couple of "decent" Plano cases, that things got shipped to me in.
And I'd rather have them than not.
But, man, the foam is pitiful!
It's the flimsiest egg crate foam you can imagine.
So...
I'm thinking about throwing the egg crate out, and just putting three "proper" layers of foam in there.
But the cases are pretty shallow. The pieces of my foam would still have to be pretty thin.
Y'all like Appalachian for this or Kaizen.
If you can even picture what it is that I'm going to try to do at all. o_O

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger, and just trying to understand a few additional details.

Much obliged.

James

O.P. saying "never mind" maybe on questions 2 AND 3.

I just went to Kaizen and was digging a little deeper.
Seems 48" is the one and only and max length of Kaizen.
... which is a few inches shorter than the cases I'm looking at.

So I guess: "No Kaizen for you!"

Yes?

James

I'm shopping for a case for an upcoming trip, but I'm not sure what size I should get. My rifle is 48" butt to muzzle, and a case like the Pelican 1750 is 50" internal. I feel like 1" on either side of the rifle is not enough. Any suggestions?

I'm shopping for a case for an upcoming trip, but I'm not sure what size I should get. My rifle is 48" butt to muzzle, and a case like the Pelican 1750 is 50" internal. I feel like 1" on either side of the rifle is not enough. Any suggestions?
It's what I have and my rifle has a 26 in barrel plus brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.