Hard case recommendations

I would go pelican if I had the money, a friend of mine had a few different and swapped them all for 8-10 pelicans.
That being said, I got a huntshield (basic whatever) from Canadian Tire and put in a couple mm scilicone under the rubber seal (probably wasn't needed honestly but there is comfort having to push it closed) and it's water PROOF!
I put tissue all around the inside and weighted in the tub for 2 days, dry.

RTIC has a great product and price with free shipping. I own Pelican and RTIC and the latter is my choice. The quality is very equal and price separates them for me.

I have an SKB, 15 years old and it's built like a tank. It's traveled all over the country on planes and in the back of trucks, used it shipping with UPS and FedEx, never one issue. Find the one that fits your needs, buy it, and don't look back or worry. They're made in the USA!

Last edited:
I do like the Pelican/Vault cases. I custom cut many of them for our shop. The one upgrade I would recommend is getting Polyethylene foam sheets. They are much more durable(albeit heavier) and easier to work with than the standard foam. A hotwire setup makes for precise and neat cutting versus doing it by hand. You can get several different densities, but1.7lb charcoal is what I use in most cases. Here's a good source for foam... https://www.foambymail.com/PE17-_1/polyethylene-foam-sheets-1-7lb.html

I do like the Pelican/Vault cases. I custom cut many of them for our shop. The one upgrade I would recommend is getting Polyethylene foam sheets. They are much more durable(albeit heavier) and easier to work with than the standard foam. A hotwire setup makes for precise and neat cutting versus doing it by hand. You can get several different densities, but1.7lb charcoal is what I use in most cases. Here's a good source for foam... https://www.foambymail.com/PE17-_1/polyethylene-foam-sheets-1-7lb.html
Thank you for the advice

I like the Pelican 1750 and have used one for quite a lot of air travel for many years. My only gripe is that after several years of use the clasps have lost some of their grip when snapped shut, and I occasionally find one open when I collect my bags. The locks keep keep the case pretty well shut so it's not a major issue.

The only thing I don't like about some pelican cases is the loud and hard to open and close latches. I have a Pelican Storm case with the push button release on the latches and I greatly prefer that style. So much easier and quieter than the latches on my pelican case that I use for my spotting scope.

Hey, I've been using a tuff pack for close to 20 years. Great thing about it is that it doesn't look like a gun case. It fits the OP's criteria just fine and you can add boots, etc until you get it to 50 Lbs.
Take Care

The only problem I have with my 1750 is that I can't fit two big rifles with larger optics, or even one big rifle and a smaller one. Two lightweight rifles with small scopes, not a problem. The weight doesn't bother me too much because it has wheels, and when I get to where I'm going that's about as far as I needed it for until it's time to go home. I'd rather have the weight and the extra strength than a lighter case.

Recent Posts