Stevens Model 200 30-06- Please help, thank you

MarioT

Hi, I have purchased the weapon stated in the subject and I have to say that it is good for the price. The first day I recieved it I believe that it was pretty accurate and that I was hitting what I was aiming at.

Compared to the last few days the accuracy has decreased. I think that it is the scope. The scope I have purchased is good, it was great the first day. But ever since I started to fire it more I havent been able to hit anything I have been aiming at, even when prone on the ground with a bipod. I am not sure what is going on here with my weapon. I believe it is my scope, it must have to be adjusted correctly. The rounds I use is Winchester Super-X Power Point-150gr-CXP2. Is there better rounds out there that someone would suggest? From Federal, Remington?

Does anyone know what the groupings should be on this rifle at the caliber I am using? Once I get the scope adjusted I will try over and see how it is, here and there.

It is greatly appreciated to anyone who answers my questions and helps me,

Mario

Mario,

Welcome aboard......

When those kinds of things happen to be its usually because something came loose.

Check the action mounting screws.
Remove the scope and check the scope mounts.
Then ensure the rings are tight.

After that its a bit of a crap shoot.

Ensure barrel is free floated
Ensure the same loads as the originals are used.

Last but should have been first is a proper barrel break in which is not just shooting the new barrel for awhile then running some hoppe's through it.

Go to Dan Lilja's site for a break in procedure.

HTH

You may also want to see if using the bipod is causing the stock to hit the barrel. The Stevens 200 stock is a tad flexible in the front end.

Hmm, i'll try what you were talking about guys. As for the bipod, im not sure... maybe it could be? I fired standing up and crouch also and was steady, didnt hit the target where I was aiming at. It can be a few things. Either its the scope that needs to be sighted correctly, the bipod to tight and pusching the stock to the barrel or maybe just something wrong with the gun itself.

I'll take some looks at it. Thanks for the help guys,
Mario

P.S. Thanks for the welcome, this place seems great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

i own a lot of savages and not one of them shoot bad. i just shoot a yote at 640yrds with a 300wsm savage that i built up. i have a 110 in 223 that shots under 1/2 min and it has a factory barrel. that is the same action you have in the stevens it's a great action. ok to your troubles i would say you need check every thing to make sure it's tight. as for as hitting what your aiming at all you need to do is look for a good tight group first. after that then you can adjust your scope to be on. if you can not getting a group then you have trouble. check to make sure all of the bolts are tight on the scope and rifle. then i would look at the stock make sure you have room between the barrel and stock. if all of this is ok then i would look at the scope. what kind of scope do you have? most of the time is not the rifle. the good news is you have a good action to build off of down the road and you have found this sight the people on here know what make a rifle shoot and are glad to help out.
down the road you can spend about what a new rem would cost and have a rifle that can shoot as good as a lot of 2500-3000.00 rifles a great place to start looking at with a savage is over on savageshooters.com are sharpshootersuppys.com they work on savage rifles only and are great people to deal with talk to Fred. but i would put my money is on a lose bolt are bad scope. good luck and stay around you can learn alot here

Ok thanks for the post. Sorry for the late reply on my part, i didnt notice someone posted.

I will look at the stuff you said and so on. I am not sure when I will be firing my weapon next, but after I do I will come on here and tell you/everyone what happend and so fourth.

Thanks for the help guys,
Mario

I would say that you probably have a decent starting point. Make sure your are properly caring for your barrel. I clean as little as possible and use a pull through for minor cleaning also. I would look into getting a Lothar Walther barrel for your stevens from ferret50.com in either 6.5-284 or 284. Very inexpensive and they are lapped unlike SSS. Go to 6mmbr and search the homepage for cleaning and you will find an article detailing boreguides and cleaning. Also the factory rounds you mentioned are probably not up to par.
Find a fellow reloader and have him show you how to reload and possible get a lee loaded. Very cheap to get started and see if you want to continue.

Ok, well I dont think that there are any reloaders in my area, that I can easily talk to anyways... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well thanks for your help.

Of course there are, us nutjobs are all over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.
If you look in higher traffic areas like varminthunter.org the have the go go varmint go message board with lots of shooters. You can post a note at your closest shooting range, gun store.
Reloading is $$$$ and a huge pain, so its better to have someone show you and see all what is envolved. If you find a friend that reloads you can possibly just buy dies,bullets powder primers and use his press and trimmer and tools. Also like I said save your brass and you can reload it with a leeloader which only costs $20 and will probably shoot as good if not better because you have more options espically at short range.

Yep, I save all of my brass. From my stevens, armalite, browning, and sako rifles.

Whats so good about reloading anyways, if you dont mind filling me in?

Reloading give you what you want. Speed, accuracy, bullet type. You can taylor you loads for what ever you want, lees recoil, quieter, faster, bullet type, adjust bullet and powder for accuracy. It is a pain though, lots of $$$. So keep it simple.

Yeah the $$ is the main prob, most likely. I'm not into getting that deep, as of now. I might not ever do it... it might be ready but i'm not someone to do something like that when I can just go buy the ammunition.

Reloading gives your rifle the ability to perform the way it should (accuracy). Its also cheaper to reload in the long run then buying $20 box of shells everytime you want to go shoot. I also like the satisfaction I get from taking animals and seeing how accurate my ammunition is that I made up myself. Its a hobby all in itself. The initial cost might look scary, but if you shoot more then the average guy, you'll end up saving money in a year or two.

Well I dont really shoot much, and when I do its for a reason... like sighting in my scope or hunting and such.

There are those occasions where I do shoot a good amount, not to much though... When I do shoot a lot I will use Bulk Ammunition from Cabela's. It's great stuff for the price, doesnt screw up the barrel or anything.

It's good because its newly manufactured, and the company that makes it actually understands what crappy ammunition can do you your weapon. Check out the reviews, they are good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Also, there are some tracer rounds, they are newly manufactured also (from what I remember), I talked to Cabela's about it.

Here's the link to both of them:

Bulk .30-06 Ammunition
Bulk .30-06 Tracer Ammunition

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.