Stevens Model 200 HELP!

it fits me real well and for $150 its hard to beat stockade has a ton of option's and color's . this one i painted a little over a year ago with rustoleum
patio furniture paint and held up better than expected 2 hunts 2 deer and one scratch

JIM

$150 is the cost of the money saver stock. You need to do the stuff to it, like painting it and so on. Still a nice stock though.

Hi,

If you look close, you will find that the factory stock is flexing right at the front barrel nut and going back to the magazine cutout. This is the area that needs work. Bedding around the recoil lug, front action screw, and barrel nut will help. Some people have gone as far as epoxying sheet metal to the sides of the mag cutout in the stock, which does stiffen it. Some also put a rod down the entire length of the fore end.

Another thought on adding weight in the back: put the lead shot and epoxy mixed together in a plastic baggie. That way you can get it out if you ever need (or want) to. The epoxy will keep the shot from shifting.

HTH.

Yep. I know about the epoxy and lead shot stuff. I am thinking about stiffining the fore end up. If I keep the rifle. I'm a lefty and I just bought the stevens for a quick entry rifle. It wasnt a bad choice, its just I want something that I can operate correctly.

On a second note. I was looking at the rifle the other day and I did some dry fires. The bolt release went down like I should of (3/4 the way down?). When I tried to pull the bolt up I encountered resistance which is because of the bolt cocking itself. I just pull on it like I should be and it comes up fine. But it doesnt seem right. Most likely its because I havnt fired it in a while. But either way the rifle seems fine, no trouble and I'm looking forward to taking it out tomorrow and shooting a bit to re-familiarize myself.

Thanks for the tips and help guys.

I put a 2# soft lead (bag) diving bag in the buttstock of my Stevens 300 mag. added a Limbsaver, filled all the voids in the forearm with epoxy, bedded the action, added Karsten cheekpiece, adjusted the trigger as light as it would safely go. It shoots Black Hills at 1/2" at 100 yards and about 3/4" at 200. Also painted it black, it weighs about 10.5 pounds. I have about $310 in the gun total,,,I just love the Savage/Stevens. Have a 7mm-08 also that the wife shoots, did the same except for the added weight and it shoots almost as good! I have pictures if wanted.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.