Stevens Model 200 HELP!

MarioT

Hey guys. I encountered a big problem today. I went out to sight in my scope to make sure it was on and I had some problems.

The big problem was whenever I fired my gun the little thing on the right side went down. You know when you go to take the bolt out you pull to trigger and press the little knob thing in and pull the bolt out. Well whenever you fire without ammo in the gun that thing goes down and to pull the bolt you encounter some resistance. This is fine. What isnt fine is the gun was doing it everytime I fired with live ammo in it. I have never had this problem before and this is the first time I have fired it in about 7 months or so? I have kept up on oiling and cleaning and so on.

I am going to take it to my taxidermist tomorrow and talk to him about the situation. I was pretty worried about it and I still am, so I stopped shooting :(

Stevens/Savage???

OK everybody if I am wrong on this....well, somebody please yell at me for giving advise I am not 100% on (something I don't like to do)!!!!!
I am 90% sure the bolt release is supposed to go down when it is fired, I think mine has on all the savage rifles I have owned. The resistance you feel when pulling the bolt up after firing is the bolt "cocking" itself. Unless the bolt will pull all the way out or there is A LOT of resistance on the upward turn of the bolt I don't see a problem. Like I said correct me if I'm wrong. I can't just go pick mine up 'cause it's over 7000 miles away at the moment.

yup bravo your a 100% percent on your info when you pull the trigger the bolt release goes down about 3/32 or around that i never did measure and the bolt cocks when you raise the handle at least they do on the 4 i own and the 2 my son own

JIM

Yep, you guys said the same as my taxidermist. It was just a misunderstanding on my part (I hope). I havnt fired it in about 7 months...

Thanks for the help though.

Also, did any of you guys weight your rifles down? Glass them or put lead shot and epoxy in them? I'm probably going to fill the butt of the stock up with a bit of lead shot and then some epoxy, same with the fore end. Another friend of mine (who owns a gun shop) told me to just do this instead of glassing it.

He also showed me how to free float the entire gun. I know the barrel is, but he taught me something else too, that went along the lines of glassing the stock. It includes pieces of a credit card, it was pretty cool what he showed me but i dont think I will be doing it anytime soon.

Mario, the only problem I've ever had with any Savage was the stocks. But then again that is my fault for buying the ones with the cheap wood or flimsy composite stocks. I usually take a dremmel tool and make sure the stock won't touch the barrel and then glass bed it or install a rod to stiffen it. Never had a problem afterwords. They were all very accurate. Sorry, never wanted to add weight to a hunting rifle intentionally.

The only thing I dont like so much about my Stevens is the weight. Other then that it seems fine. The fore end of the stevens model 200 stock is weak, and therefore when it has pressure agaist it (resting it on something hard with pressure on it, putting a bipod on, etc...), it pushes on the barrel.

Thanks for the input ;)

this is just me but i would get rid of the tupperware stock the ones i would look at are stockade rifle stocks i have a muledeer sprorster barrel but they can make it anyway you want there about $150 boyds has some nice laminates at a very good price then there is joel russo i have my 12 bvss sitting in one or go to savage shooters and get in touch with northlander he has some takeoff's i really good price's

JIM

Alright cool. I was looking at some other stocks. Not sure which one to purchase. Thanks for the help in direction. Do you have any pictures?

100_1233.jpg
//i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/1redtail/100_1233.jpg[/IMG]

this one is a boyds thumbhole its my sons 7MM RM

000_0161.jpg

this stock was made by Joel Russo a member of this board and is a work of art a very nice stock .all the stock.s were finished pillard and bedded by me

JIM N

??? Allways thought that light weight was the only advantage that the plastic had?
Just about any stock you get is gonna need some work to get to fit right and work for you so you will be out very little trying to fill the forearm and add a little weight. Dont fool yourself though you aint gonna stiffen it much but usualy enough to work as long as you have a lot of clearance between the stock and barrel. If you get it to work for you thats ideal but if not you have a better idea of what you want in a different stock.
The Russo and Stockade stocks look great and handle better but doubles the cost of the rifle,something to consider when buying a Stevens or tupperware Savage. The good news is if you like to tinker and are not in a hurry cheaper alternatives are out there.

8-07%20Savages.jpg

to give you better idea of the cost the boyds was $79 .the mule deer that has bedding block's is $ 150 right now or at least it was 1 week ago. the Russo was not cheap it was $ 260 last feb. now all had to be fitted and finished . i heard that boyds don't sell unfinished stock but i haven't checked so I'm not sure. the final decision is up to you good luck and have fun

JIM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts