Stevens/CDI Precision

jpbaker

Quick Question for you guys,

I wanna get a 308 for deer hunting, probably out to 300-400yds. Anything further will get 300wm.

I was thinking a simple stevens 200 action, but I want a "drop mag." So, my question, could I drop the action in a Choate Tactical stock with a CDI precision bottom metal.

Also, for an affordible barrel, I was thinking an E.R. Shaw barrel. I was considering a 20" or a 24" Varmint Contour.

Thoughts?

TKS
JPB

If you are going for a good DIY build then you have a good start, but all of that adds up pretty quickly. I was planning something similar, but then found a complete Savage that had 90% of what I was looking for in a factory rifle for several hundred dollars less. Don't forget you'll need a trigger as well.

Your build...

Action $225.00
ER Shaw Barrel $150.00
Stock w/ CDI BDM $480.00
AICS Mag $ 85.00
Trigger $100.00

Total $1045.00

If you are going for affordable, find a Savage FCSS in .308. You'll proabbly spend around $750.00 and it will have everything you are looking for with the exception of the tactical stock, in a stainless rifle.

Maybe I could go with a Rem 700 Varmint and upgrade as I get the cash.

I live in Canada, so getting parts can be an issue....

Also, I have a stevens 200 .223, that I purchased for a similar project, but when I took it to the range, I decided to leave it stock, cuz it shot .335" with factory winchester JHP

So depending on how it shoots, I may be able to hold off on the barrel and trigger job for a bit. The trigger is ok once adjusted.

Just alot of factors to consider....

TKS
JPB

Last edited:
For 3-400 yds I would just buy an over-the-counter rifle that you like, with the features you want and use it as it is.

For example, a Tikka comes with a drop mag and would be a good package for what you want.

TC

For 3-400 yds I would just buy an over-the-counter rifle that you like, with the features you want and use it as it is.

TC

Yeah, but human nature is to push the limits. 3-400 might turn into a little more down the road..... :)

Also, if with the CDI bottem medal, will it work with the Ruger Scout AICS mags.
That would also drop the cost down a fair bit.

TKS
JPB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts