stevens build in 22PPC or 22BR F-class questions

coloradoultramag

I am interested in making a good cheap F-class gun that I would also take p-dog and coyote and bobcat hunting.I am looking at building a 22ppc or 22br using a stevens action and ordering a shillen prefit barrel.
Does anybody know if a stevens bolt and magazine would work on any of the above cartrifdges? If it doesn't how would it be modified?

Is f-class even open to calibers other than 223 and 308 in the U.S.A.? Does anybody know of competitions around western colorado?

Hey if anybody has done a savage/stevens build tell me how it turned out.

Thanks for all your help, Gabe

There are a lot of variations of F-Class. There is the shorter range then the mid range out to 600 yards and then the long range stuff out to1000 yards. Different clubs have different rules on rifle configurations. There is a military caliber class of rifles called F-TR. They usually compete alongside and at the same times as the other rifles but are scored separately.

It is not unusual to have to drive for a couple of hours to attend a match so I would advise you to not be discouraged if nothing is real close.

Choice of calibers is going to be affected by the distances you have to shoot and the amount of wind you have to deal with routinely. Long range F-class is all about wind management and I doubt that the PPC is going to give you enough speed with high BC bullets to be very competitive.

You do not mention what stock you will use but it is a critical issue.

I did not answer many of your questions, but hopefully, have caused you to wait on the build until you know what the rules are where you are going to be competing.

Thanks for your reply
So there are no nation wide F class rules, the rules are shooting club specific.

What stock would you recomend?
Thanks, Gabe

Gabe, check the NRA website they have the different rules pertaining to F-class and the guns restrictions. Most clubs are NRA affiliated. See if your state has a rifle and pistol club, leauge or orginaization. Most have web-sites that list match scheduales for the different clubs throughout the state. Those sites will list the individual match scheduale for each shoot, their you will find the course of fire, which will include;distances, rounds fired, gun clasifications for that match, ect.

What is club specific is the length of their range. It is a great benefit and luxury to have access to a 1000 yard range, but few places have that kind of distance.

Then there are many variations of F-class and each club will have their special rules.

As far as a stock goes, you need something that will give you a good cheek weld. You need it to either ride the bags well or shoot off a bipod well. Selection of a stock fore end will depend upon whether you plan to shoot a bipod or a front rest of some kind. So it is something of your decision of what is most important to you, shooting F-class or prairie dogs, coyotes and bobcats. An F-class rifle should be heavy but I suspect that a coyote rifle needs to be very light and quick.

Joel Russo makes an A3/A5 hybrid laminated stock that is really a marvelous thing. It fits your hand like a thumbhole but handle like a sporter. He can make it with any shape and dimension of foreend that you want once you figure out the basic questions of how you plan to shoot it. You would need to know how to use a few small chisels and dremel and how to bed a stock or else take it to someone who can. A little sandpaper in about four or five grits and some Truoil or something will finish it up.

Gabe,

First time poster here, just found the site a while back. But, since you are asking about a savage F-class build I will show mine. I haven't even finished working up a load and have never shot it at over 100 yards yet, but I think it will work. I tried to go as cheap as possible with the gun so I used the factory 26" barrel so I may not get the velocity I need at 1000 yards but time will tell. This was a 12BVSS in .308 that I did the stock work on. Installed a adjustable butt pad, check hardware, (pucker factor was way high when I went to cut on my new BVSS stock with the band saw! It also has the accessory rail inletted into the forearm. I also routed a channel down the length of the barrel channel and inletted a stick of lead. The grip is bored out and filled with lead shot and also the empty mag well is filled with lead shot. It weighs about 18 lbs. I also polished the bolt handle just to see if it would work. It now has a leupold 6.5 x 20 LR scope on it.

308a.jpg

308b.jpg

308d.jpg

308c.jpg

I compete in F class so can share some rules. Any cartridge up to an including 8mm is allowed. Cartridges considered magnums are not (don't need them anyways). Rig weight is 10KG or 22lbs. Any safe trigger and scope. Forends can be max 3" wide.

The rest is up to your imagination.

Many shooters in my area shoot the 6BR. It is a superb choice out to 600yds. It certainly is not as good as the 6.5's or 7mm's as far as wind but recoil is way less. There are also many who shoot fast 6mm's like the 6 - 6.5X47Lapua and 6XC.

If you plan on competing you might find yourself at a disadvantage to the other open cartridge choices as you will get bounced around alot more.

However, it does do great in the varmint patch so that is your compromise.

If you want to shoot F(TR), the 223 is very competitive out to 600yds and some are doing well out to 1000yds. The 223 is certainly useful to dispatch them PD's and running cost is 1/2 the 6BR.

Always remember that with a Stevens, if you don't like what you have, take 15mins and change to whatever you want.

Jerry

PS if you go to 6mmBR.com and look up gun of the week #75, that is my rig which I compete with. There is alot of potential in those Stevens actions.

Mysticplayer thanks for your reply and I have read your week 75 gun it's nice. Is F(tr) and F class 2 different competisions? I think your saying F(tr) is only open to 223 and 308 is that right?

How hard are the 22br and 6br to get to work in a stevens action and magazine?

By the way how hard does your 338 mystic kick when you shoot the 300smk? What action did you use for the 338m?

Thanks aggain, Gabe

Yes, these are two shooting divisions that shoot at the same match. F(TR) is 223/308 only. F(Open) is anything up to 8mm. Usually, no magnums are allowed due to noise/concussion to fellow shooters.

The short case can be made to work in a Stevens action but if this was a hunting rig, I would want a longer case just to be sure of no feeding issues.

I shoot my rifles single feed so case length doesn't matter. For F class, only single feed is allowed.

My 338 Mystic will kick as hard as any other case that can push a 300gr MK to 3000fps. NO fun in a light rifle. Mine weighs 35lbs and has a brake. Still pushes the rifle back a few inches when fired.

I have become a big recoil wuss so spend almost all my time with my 15lbs 223 and 21lbs 6.5.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.